Texas Fishing Forum

1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration

Posted By: LostHubbardFisherman

1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/28/19 11:41 PM

Have an issue that periodically occurs when I give full acceleration to take off in boat engine starts cutting in and out and won't plane. Then if I turn off engine and raise and lower engine and start in neutral and advance the idle to full it will clear it out and then I can give it full throttle and it will plane. Mechanic thought it was VRO pump issue and remove VRO so oil is now mixed with gas. I replaced the power pack as this was the issue the engine was having before the mechanic removed the VRO pump. Below is video of the engine. Any suggestions on what may be causing this?

https://youtu.be/D3hVTl1MuT0
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/28/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by LostHubbardFisherman
Have an issue that periodically occurs when I give full acceleration to take off in boat engine starts cutting in and out and won't plane. Then if I turn off engine and raise and lower engine and start in neutral and advance the idle to full it will clear it out and then I can give it full throttle and it will plane. Mechanic thought it was VRO pump issue and remove VRO so oil is now mixed with gas. I replaced the power pack as this was the issue the engine was having before the mechanic removed the VRO pump. Below is video of the engine. Any suggestions on what may be causing this?

https://youtu.be/D3hVTl1MuT0

First thing I would do is check the fuel lines. Remove each end and check for delamination. Over time and if the boats sits for any length of time ethanol will eat up the lining. Mine looked like this when I removed it.
[Linked Image]
It will clog up the line and not let fuel through.

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/28/19 11:56 PM

I replaced the fuel lines about 6 months ago and run ethanol free gas they sell at my local Walmart.

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/29/19 12:01 AM

I replaced the fuel lines about 6 months ago and run ethanol free gas they sell at my local Walmart.

Will check the ends to confirm no issue.

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/29/19 12:20 AM

Didn't know that bud, Your fuel lines are probably fine then. Do you have an inline 10 micron fuel filter ? If so I would check that and any other fuel filters you have. Listening to the video it sounds like a fuel problem of some sort. Hope you figure it out but if not I highly recommend Rockwall Marine if they're not too far.

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/29/19 12:25 AM

Just ordered a replacement fuel filter from BRP to see if that is the use. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/29/19 12:50 AM

Hope it works. I am by no means a mechanic, just trying to help. Sometimes Youtube can be of help too. Nothing worse than having a sick outboard.

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 08/29/19 01:19 AM

Amen!
Posted By: boatwhisperer

Re: 1994 Johnson Venom 200 HP cutting out at full acceleration - 09/02/19 02:24 PM

sounds like the engine is going into quick-start mode when advancing the throttle, I would check port side temp sender for a malfunction. it controls the q-s mode or I would check timer base for sticking and or chaffed wiring/ you are going to need a good ohmmeter abd a service manuel too diagnois the problem
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum