Texas Fishing Forum

Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke

Posted By: dobbin

Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/17/19 01:28 AM

This was number 2 for this motor so we are repowering the boat with a 2019 250 4 stroke Yamaha.
I am keeping the motor so I will have some parts for sale here in a couple of weeks. New motor should be on the boat by the weekend so if anyone needs some parts for a 250 4 stroke send me a message and lest see if we can make a deal.... The motor is a 2010.

good fishing and have fun
Tommy
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/17/19 11:30 AM

SHO?

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/17/19 02:16 PM

Yes Sir forgot to add that Thank YOu
Posted By: TWINCITY

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/25/19 08:26 PM

Why buy the same problem style motor you had before? I don't understand.

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/26/19 02:22 AM

It is a unbolt rebolt. Controls are the same ( different motors take different controls). When I bought the boat the powerhead had 75 hours on it. Talking with previous owner of the boat the powerhead was not broke in properly. The Yamaha is a good engine but this post does not need to be a Ford Chevy debate. Mercs and Yamaha are good motors with lots of service tecs in the area. Honda has a good engine but not may tecs in the area. I am following the break in procedures to a tee. Got 6 years of Yamaha warranty. I'll be an old man before warranty runs out.

I made the decision to buy new when the projected repairs to the old motor totaled $15500 for a new power head, prop shaft, prop and what ever else was found.

I just did not feel right about the way the engine was taken care of and the re powering the first time around. Was it done right who knows. I have the old engine and I am going to take it apart to see if I can tell really what happened.
Not happy with the way the insurance company handled the claim. No names or finger pointing. Just making sure I buy a policy that will cover a boat from a company who sells boat insurance and knows the in's and out's
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/26/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dobbin
It is a unbolt rebolt. Controls are the same ( different motors take different controls). When I bought the boat the powerhead had 75 hours on it. Talking with previous owner of the boat the powerhead was not broke in properly. The Yamaha is a good engine but this post does not need to be a Ford Chevy debate. Mercs and Yamaha are good motors with lots of service tecs in the area. Honda has a good engine but not may tecs in the area. I am following the break in procedures to a tee. Got 6 years of Yamaha warranty. I'll be an old man before warranty runs out.

I made the decision to buy new when the projected repairs to the old motor totaled $15500 for a new power head, prop shaft, prop and what ever else was found.

I just did not feel right about the way the engine was taken care of and the re powering the first time around. Was it done right who knows. I have the old engine and I am going to take it apart to see if I can tell really what happened.
Not happy with the way the insurance company handled the claim. No names or finger pointing. Just making sure I buy a policy that will cover a boat from a company who sells boat insurance and knows the in's and out's

Never heard of insurance covering a blown motor

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 07/26/19 09:10 PM

Neither have I but it all happened at the same time.... Hit something in the water probably a smi-floater. Damaged prop bent prop shaft and the motor started loosing rpm's and locked all in about a 1 1/2 miles. Finished the last 3/4 mile to ramp by trolling motor.
There is always a first for everything.
Posted By: BCB

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 08/06/19 03:38 AM

We are interested in buying the entire carcass, as one complete unit. We have a good powerhead.

Please contact us at Bass Cat.
870-481-5135

Just tell them when the answer the phone and if one those of us which handle this are unavailable we will call you back. The staff answering the phone won’t know the details.

Sent an IM also.

BCB

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 08/06/19 11:09 PM

sent you an answer via pm
Posted By: BCB

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 08/06/19 11:36 PM

Got it and replied...
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 08/06/19 11:45 PM

I recently burned a cylinder and Travelers Insurance covered the cost $7000) because I’ve done all maintenance. Easy dealing with them and very happy with Travelers. So, yes, some insurance policies will cover motors.

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 08/08/19 04:38 PM

Thanks Rick at BCB. The engine is sold.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 10/23/19 01:05 AM

where did you find a new engine? have heard it takes a very long time to get a new yamaha. just wondering if that was bull. And who is doing the install?

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 10/25/19 06:57 PM

I bought the new engine from Marine Outlet in Temple TX. I dealt with Rick Smith 800 880 1807. They did the take off and reinstall of the new engine. He gave me a time line and it was ready when I arrived on that date.
Check their web-site he keeps some engines in stock... If you talk to him tell him Tommy from Hubbard sent you there....
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 10/25/19 08:46 PM

Let me know I can possibly get you a Yamaha are Mercury
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Blew a power head 250 Yamaha 4 stroke - 10/26/19 01:30 PM

thanks guys
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum