Texas Fishing Forum

I'm no boat mechanic need some advice

Posted By: Bryan789

I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/18/19 10:50 AM

I have 95 Mercury 200 EFI the high pressure fuel pump went out I replaced it so now it burns gas like crazy. When the boat is parked with motor in stowed position gas leaks off the scag not a lot but enough. Has or does anyone know what is causing this and a solution to the problem?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/18/19 11:02 AM

Where is the gas coming from would be my first question. That should narrow it down quite a bit. Just a wild guess, but I would check all the gaskets and fuel lines where you replaced the pump.
Posted By: Bryan789

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/18/19 11:04 AM

It appears to be coming from the exhaust I can't find any leaks from hoses or anything
Posted By: TLW

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/18/19 12:19 PM

check tha mechanical pump for holes/tears in diaphragm .. check fuel pressure and regulator.. does tha pump cycle off when motor is not running and key on?
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/18/19 12:36 PM

Fist thing I would do is take the cowl off and then squeeze the primer bulb and see if you see gas coming out anywhere. It could be a stuck float, cracked fuel line, cracked fuel pump, etc. Is is just gas coming out or oil and gas? Could be the VRO going out also.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/18/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Blazer 2400
Fist thing I would do is take the cowl off and then squeeze the primer bulb and see if you see gas coming out anywhere. It could be a stuck float, cracked fuel line, cracked fuel pump, etc. Is is just gas coming out or oil and gas? Could be the VRO going out also.

EFI so no floats. Pumping the bulb is a good idea.That is how I found a leak on my carbed Merc. It was the cross feed lines.
Posted By: illest23

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/19/19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer 2400

EFI so no floats. Pumping the bulb is a good idea.That is how I found a leak on my carbed Merc. It was the cross feed lines.

There is a float in the VST on EFI motors.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: I'm no boat mechanic need some advice - 06/19/19 01:01 PM

EFI so no floats. Pumping the bulb is a good idea.That is how I found a leak on my carbed Merc. It was the cross feed lines. [/quote]

Hmm my 96 EFI merc has a float in the vapor/seperator
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum