Texas Fishing Forum

First time to start Tohatsu 6hp

Posted By: 24x7Fisherman

First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 12:55 AM

It's a brand new Tohatsu 6hp. I couldn't start it. Should I squeeze the primer ball until it becomes very hard? There are some fuel overflowing after I squeeze the primer ball for a while. Anyway, after trying about 30 minutes, I gave up. Any inputs will be really appreciated.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 02:46 AM

Sounds like you had the kill switch engaged.

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by texcajun
Sounds like you had the kill switch engaged.

Thanks, the kill switch is not engaged. One newbies question, is that normal to have fuel overflowing?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 03:00 AM

No, sounds like you flooded it by over priming
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 02:25 PM

Prime it till it get's hard and then try starting the motor. Also does it have a choke? Where's the manual ?

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by NITRO Z8
Prime it till it get's hard and then try starting the motor. Also does it have a choke? Where's the manual ?

Thanks, it has a choke, and it was pulled. I have read the manual, maybe I missed something. Will try it again.
How can I know I have over primed? Even if I have over done it, does the engine have a build in mechanism to prevent fuel overflowing?
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 03:25 PM

some of these brand new engines have to be hooked to a computer to allow them to start.

might want to check with a tahatsu authorized dealer , like service marine in emory,tx.

(not sure if it applies to a 6hp)

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/30/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by steve@hydrodynamics
some of these brand new engines have to be hooked to a computer to allow them to start.

might want to check with a tohatsu authorized dealer , like service marine in emory,tx.

Thanks. I will take it to a dealer to see what happened. I did get it start today, but it quits immediately.
It's really frustrating since it is a brand new engine.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 05/31/19 06:07 PM

Be prepared for a long wait to get a Tohatsu tech to look at it for you. I just bought a 8hp Tohatsu and had problems right out of the box. Idles very high and runs way too fast in even lowest throttle speed. Quoted a wait time of 4 to 6 weeks by the 2 dealers Tohatsu suggested. They did send me a new carburator to install myself. Hate to say it, but I think a new customer should be able to get service appointment quicker especially when their motors are supposedly checked before shipped. Waiting for rain to be out of forecast before I try it again. Hoping you get better help!

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 06/01/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 24x7Fisherman

might want to check with a tohatsu authorized dealer , like service marine in emory,tx.

Thanks. I will take it to a dealer to see what happened. I did get it start today, but it quits immediately.

Got it started on prime and it died immediately. Is the vent on the fuel tank open?

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 06/01/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by JWfish
Be prepared for a long wait to get a Tohatsu tech to look at it for you. I just bought a 8hp Tohatsu and had problems right out of the box. Idles very high and runs way too fast in even lowest throttle speed. Quoted a wait time of 4 to 6 weeks by the 2 dealers Tohatsu suggested. They did send me a new carburator to install myself. Hate to say it, but I think a new customer should be able to get service appointment quicker especially when their motors are supposedly checked before shipped. Waiting for rain to be out of forecast before I try it again. Hoping you get better help!

Thanks,I can feel you

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 06/01/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Originally Posted by 24x7Fisherman

Got it started on prime and it died immediately. Is the vent on the fuel tank open?

It is open, thanks
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 06/01/19 01:21 PM

Make sure you have water ear muffs on the lower unit, or the lower unit is submerged in water before starting. You need water pumping through the engine to cool it while running.
Posted By: grescobia

Re: First time to start Tohatsu 6hp - 06/01/19 02:23 PM

make sure ur kill switch is on firmly
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum