Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake

Posted By: rkd

Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake - 05/17/19 08:42 PM

Have a 2002 MotorGuide that was converted to digital a few years ago. Still going strong BUT I've noticed the prop spins for a few rotations while going across the lake. Happens more when in choppy water. Almost like the bounce from the wake is engaging the motor. What could be causing this? I made sure the harness etc wasn't accidentally depressing the foot pedal button.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake - 05/17/19 09:03 PM

unplug it and see what it does

Re: Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake - 05/17/19 09:14 PM

Darn! I'll try that the next time I'm on the water. Just to get ahead of the curve-if it happens while plugged in, what does that mean? And if it happens while unplugged, what would that indicate?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake - 05/17/19 10:28 PM

If it happens when plugged in there is probably a short in the switch, if it does it while unplugged you need to get a patent for creating electricity from nothing....

Re: Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake - 05/17/19 10:33 PM

Funny! Ok, so my supposedly charged batteries crapped out on me today after only a couple of hours. Would a short in the switch drain a battery? Is that a "continuous" charge (even if trickle) kind of scenario?
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Trolling Motor-engages while going across lake - 05/19/19 06:53 PM

Yes. If the switch isnt all the way off even though it doesn't have enough current to turn the prop it will drain it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum