Texas Fishing Forum

Evinrude lean sneeze

Posted By: PlanoPaul

Evinrude lean sneeze - 03/07/19 10:58 PM

The motor is a 1984 Evinrude 235, dinosaur I know.... Motor is in great condition for it’s age and runs flawless except for one issue that I can’t figure out. Any time I trim the motor up past level(while idling) it’s starts to lean sneeze and will eventually die if I don’t prime/choke it. It only does this at idle. I can run across the lake and trim it up as much as I want and it doesn’t skip a beat. And if I leave it trimmed all the way down, it will idle all day long without a single issue. I feel like this must be a float setting issue in the carburetors, but i’ve double checked them and they are correct. Or is this just a characteristic of an old carbureted motor? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Evinrude lean sneeze - 03/07/19 11:23 PM

I'd start with looking for a fuel line leak when motor is trimmed to the problem. Could be suckimg air.
Posted By: lloyd

Re: Evinrude lean sneeze - 03/08/19 01:39 PM

You need to change the idle air jets that are located in the top of the inside of the throat on each cylinder. You need to go four to six sizes smaller which will give it more fuel at idle and normally take the lean cough out of it
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Evinrude lean sneeze - 03/08/19 03:28 PM

have you checked your fuel pump diaphragms. do you have the hp pumps?.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Evinrude lean sneeze - 03/08/19 03:42 PM

Sound like it need reed gaskets and intake gaskets
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Evinrude lean sneeze - 03/08/19 11:18 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Will look into this stuff!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum