Texas Fishing Forum

2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson

Posted By: IslandJim

2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/18/18 02:57 PM

I've got a 1961 Johnson 5.5 that uses 16:1 fuel/oil mix. I hate paying $5 or more dollars for a quart of the latest, TCW3 oil. For an engine that old, are there any options? I know I don't consume THAT much, but in 1961, the oil wasn't very sophisticated like now, with oil injection, etc. I've read that the oil needs to be specific for water-cooled 2-strokes, as opposed to air-cooled weed-eater oil. Just wondering if anyone has any info. If not, I'll just stick to my Pennzoil. Thanks, IslandJim
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/18/18 03:05 PM

Jim,
Just don't run junk walmart oil.
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/18/18 05:12 PM

Exactly my thoughts, ANYTHING but Wal-Mart oil! I tried to save a buck and use the Wal-Mart stuff; after two tanks I said never again! Plugs were all black and had like chunks of carbon on them, dirty as heck to say the least. I run Pennzoil PremiumPlus(synthetic blend); to me it’s the best bang for your buck. Smokes quite a bit, but the plugs stay fairly clean in my opinion.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/18/18 10:06 PM

I have a Johnson and I run the Johnson Evinrude oil. I think that’s what is made for it..?
Posted By: don the angler

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/19/18 12:56 PM

My grandfather would use a quart of motor oil in a six gallon gas tank. It would smoke very heavily. I believe that is what was recommended in the 1950's. I do not know when the 50-1 ratio began.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/19/18 02:37 PM

I would run a name brand oil only
Posted By: MATTSUEY

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 11/19/18 09:05 PM

wal mart has Johnson/Evinrude 2 stroke oil for 19.00 a gallon,that what i ran when i had a Johnson
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: 2-cycle oil for an old(!) Johnson - 12/04/18 04:36 PM

Back in the day I had a 1958 18hp evinrude. We always ran 1qt non-detergent 30W motor oil in 6 gallons of gas. That motor was still running (unrebuilt) in the mid-90s. So, I think it might be ok. Did the same thing when I had a 1959 35hp Johnson in college..don't know the history of that one, but it ran good while I had it.

Don't know for sure, though.

sb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum