Texas Fishing Forum

Metal vs Fiberglass

Posted By: Bald Eagle

Metal vs Fiberglass - 08/31/18 11:05 PM

Thinking of getting a newer boat. What are the pros and cons of a metal boat and a fiberglass boat?
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 08/31/18 11:54 PM

I like my metal boat. Not worried about scratching it and maintenance is minimal. Glass boats are nice don't get me wrong but I'll take my tin.
Posted By: 4967

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 09/01/18 12:59 AM

It might be easier to help if you know what your top 3 criteria are. I've had 2 of each, and they all were functional. Each had positive and negative attributes and what might be minor to one person could be a deal-breaker for someone else.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 09/01/18 11:57 AM

Had several of each. If it is metal sooner or later it will leak. Had trackers to Lund and all leaked.
Johnny
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 09/01/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
Had several of each. If it is metal sooner or later it will leak. Had trackers to Lund and all leaked.
Johnny

Not unless a rivet works loose, you punch a hole in the hull, or the metal just tears, none of which are likely with normal use
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 09/01/18 03:13 PM

Had welds come loose and almost sunk. I have known of several others. If it is metal sooner or later it will leak.
Most common spot welded stringers come loose which allows hull flex and the you get agiant hole at seams. I know it happened to me. Rivets always get loose sooner or later and will leak and very hard to fix.
Johnny
Posted By: 4967

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 09/01/18 03:33 PM

Hmmmmm, and one of the biggest reasons I run aluminum is durability and no worries in the stump mine fields...
That old saying "Your mileage may vary" seems to still have merit.

Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass - 09/01/18 04:53 PM

4967, NICE RIG!!! My 2002 Tracker 175 never got a drop of water in it and it still doesn't to this day. My 2012 190 doesn't get wet and I've beat it up on Amistad, Falcon, and LBJ. Both boats take a beating but never a problem with either one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum