Texas Fishing Forum

Gas disposal???

Posted By: ifeliciano

Gas disposal??? - 08/20/18 09:16 PM

I have a bunch of old gas that needs disposed. Will the Fort Worth Environmental Collection Site dispose of it?
If not, can you advise on a place that would?
Posted By: Treybiz

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/20/18 10:18 PM

In for the answer to this. I've got about 15 gallons.
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/20/18 10:38 PM

How old is the gas? Can it be mixed in a vecheial a little at a time?
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/20/18 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: whnigt
How old is the gas? Can it be mixed in a vecheial a little at a time?

A bit over a year old. I've thought about that. It does have Marine Sta-Bil in it.
Posted By: Skavatar

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/21/18 02:28 AM

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-dispose-of-gasoline/

if its contaminated dispose of it. if its just old, you can dilute it with new gas.

http://fortworthtexas.gov/env/hazardouswaste/
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/22/18 02:52 AM

Put a few gallons in the truck every time you fill up. I’ve even done it with 50-1 premix before.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/22/18 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: PaulGrapevine
Put a few gallons in the truck every time you fill up. I’ve even done it with 50-1 premix before.

I wouldn't do that too often. That's hard on the O2 sensors. Same is true for old gas, just to a lesser extent.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/22/18 12:15 PM

I pulled twenty gallons from my old truck and found no place to dump it. It ended up on the burn pile on a windy day. Gone in a few minutes. Just evaporated.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/22/18 12:23 PM

i've actually done that with spare race fuel with a 40:1 mixture.

you can add 5 gallons at a time to your vehicle, then fill up vehicle and it'll burn off just fine.
Posted By: Lifetime Angler

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/29/18 12:15 PM

Weed killer 4 fence row .
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Gas disposal??? - 08/29/18 04:10 PM

This is a huge problem for me about twice a year.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Gas disposal??? - 09/05/18 06:37 PM

If its just a year old and mixed with stabilizer there is nothing wrong with it, run it in whatever you have that takes gas. Have used gas that was over 2 years old on many occasions that was stored with stabilizer.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Gas disposal??? - 09/08/18 03:08 PM

Burn it in your everyday auto... Dan
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Gas disposal??? - 09/09/18 03:58 PM

I once dumped 6 gal of 50:1 in an 88 Chevy Caprice. It ruined the catalytic convertor immediately. Thankfully it was my company car, so I just had it replaced on my expense account.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Gas disposal??? - 09/09/18 04:20 PM

With a proper dose of Stabil in it, you should be fine. Use it in mowers, mixed down with fresh gas.
Look at it for darkening and use your nose. If it doesn't look right, or smell right, it likely is not good.
Posted By: captain belly

Re: Gas disposal??? - 09/10/18 11:29 PM

My Grandpa would have poured it out on the gravel drive! My dad probably would have done the same thing, only, he would say "giving it back to Mother Earth" as he did it. My have times changed! BTW: i have a friend that poured a soup can full of gasoline and stuck it under an upside-down metal barrel. He ran a cannon fuse a distance from the soup can and out the barrel and down the road. He let the hot summer sun bake the whole contraption for a while, and when he thought the gas was well evaporated, he lit the fuse. He said the barrel shot in the air 100 feet.
Anyways....... I'm waiting my turn in the doctor's office, and I needed something to do, so I'm just sitting here telling stories..... you're welcome!
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Gas disposal??? - 09/11/18 03:10 PM

Sounds like a North Korea space shuttle launch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum