Texas Fishing Forum

95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues

Posted By: BwdMan

95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 07/30/18 05:14 PM

I have issues when I try to start the engine. I can turn the key and there is a "click" from the engine but it won't crank. I can turn the key back to the off position and try again and sometimes it will crank and other times I have to do this 5-10 times before the engine cranks. It has not failed to start for me, but sometimes it just takes several attempts to get it to crank. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
Posted By: javelin150

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 07/30/18 05:25 PM

Try this sequence.

Turn key to "on" position

Press the key in for 10 seconds

While continuing to press the key in, turn the key to start the engine.

You should only have to do this first thing. Once the engine starts, you should not have to press the key in fkr the remainder of the day

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 07/30/18 09:51 PM

I tried this and it's still doing the same thing. I think there might be a misunderstanding. When I turn the key the solenoid, I guess, clicks but the starter doesn't engage. It doesn't crank at all. After I keep turning the key it usually will engage the starter and the engine will crank and does start. I've checked the wires around the starter and it appears that everything is tight and clean and no noticeable corrosion. Anyone have any other ideas?
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 07/31/18 12:45 AM

Bad key switch, solenoid, starter, or bad electrical connection. I’d start with the solenoid if it were me. Starter probably least likely.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 07/31/18 01:15 AM

Make sure you don't have a dead cell in the battery. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the battery, and it was new.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 08/06/18 08:55 PM

Pretty easy to check power with a test light at the solenoid and starter.

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 08/09/18 09:21 PM

I have checked the voltage at the battery and it is showing 13 volts. I also checked the voltage at the solenoid on the battery side and it shows 13 also. I just replaced the starter because a "knowledgeable " person said that was the issue. It still does the same thing. Can the solenoid be bad and still click when the key is turned and it still make the starter engage from time to time? It hasn't left me stranded but sometimes it takes turning the key 7-10 times before it engages the starter.
Posted By: vicstric

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 08/09/18 10:09 PM

if you hear a click and the motor does not turn over, then the solinoid may be bad. easy to check of you have a way to check voltage across it while turning the key.

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 08/09/18 10:22 PM

I will get my wife to help me. Thank you

Re: 95 Fast Strike 150 Starting Issues - 08/09/18 10:51 PM

Checked the voltage across the solenoid. When the key was turned it showed 0 voltage. We got it to crank one time and the voltage jumped to 12.8. Guess it's the solenoid
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum