Texas Fishing Forum

Dead battery cut fishing trip short

Posted By: tmd11111

Dead battery cut fishing trip short - 07/25/18 09:05 PM

Hit the local lake this morning to try and beat the heat. After about 30 minutes on my favorite point I went to move across the channel and noticed my trolling motor wasn't hitting the speed it normally does (80# X5i). Looked down and the battery indicator was yellow. Got to thinking and could almost swear I charged them the last time I used the boat. In face I always connect the charger after each trip. Needless to say 30 minutes later the wind picked up a few mph's and the battery indicator was now red. Called it quits and headed home. Checked the batteries at the house and one is only reading 10.6 vdc. Connect the charger to make sure its working and thankfully it was. Batteries are Excide group 31 deep cycles from Academy. Figured great their warrantied and I just bought them last year. Well they only come with a 12 months warranty and I've had them 16 months. Academy politely told me pound sand on a free replacement.

I've owned boats for almost 30 years and have never had a deep cycle go bad so soon. Wondering if these Excides are junk or I just got a bad one. Debating on just replacing it or both now.

Ok, rant over.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Dead battery cut fishing trip short - 07/25/18 11:09 PM

I know how you feel. It happened to me when I bought the boat prior to the one I have now. It came with Interstate batteries and they were junk. BPS said (thats what your boat came with, now go away). I've been buying mine from Academy for 15 years and never had a bad one. My last boat was running on the same batteries for 5 years when I sold it. I noticed the 31's are $82 instead of the $109. I think you got a bad one and I keep mine on a charger 24/7.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Dead battery cut fishing trip short - 07/29/18 07:21 PM

WEEGO... around $100 for insurance in an low battery situation. Quick easy simple & less storage space than jumper cables.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Dead battery cut fishing trip short - 07/29/18 10:15 PM

Exide, Continental, and Interstate are pretty much on the bottom rung.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Dead battery cut fishing trip short - 07/30/18 04:58 AM

I have had interatate batteries for 5 years straight still going strong. Proper maintence is the key.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum