Texas Fishing Forum

looking to buy

Posted By: formula462

looking to buy - 07/21/18 09:30 PM

if you were looking in the 23-25k range for a used boat what would you be looking at?
Nitro
Triton
Champion
I listed these because I assume in that range they would be newer or would I be better off with older
Ranger
Skeeter
Cat
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: looking to buy - 07/22/18 02:14 AM

Champion, only boat that can handle rough water.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: looking to buy - 07/22/18 02:29 AM

if champion was the only boat that can handle rough water they would be selling the majority of boats sold.

Re: looking to buy - 07/22/18 03:39 AM

I haven't looked at many champions. I will search some of those out
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: looking to buy - 07/22/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
if champion was the only boat that can handle rough water they would be selling the majority of boats sold.

They would be if Platinum Equity hadn’t killed them off. A Champion 210 will out ride any other brand, not sure he’ll find one in that price range though. A champ 198 is awesome, but he will never find one for sale. 203 or 206 would be good to look at if you can find one.

Ride in a Skeeter and you get your teeth bounced out, yeah I had one and they sell a bunch of them; but they still suck in rough water. They do have a nice fishing platform though.

Rangers do nothing better than any other brand made, except for having a good reputation and costing a lot.

BassCats are said to be well built, but their layouts are not for people with OCD.

Tritons...well how many back surgeries has Gerald Swindle had now??? Was it 2 or 3...

Chargers are good, but you don’t see many around here.

Nitros I have never been in, I’d like to drive one and see how they rode.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: looking to buy - 07/23/18 03:16 PM

My 1st choices based on GOOD maintenance/care previously::,Champion, Triton,Bass Cat, Charger, Bullet,Skeeter, Ranger. Age not the most important factor.?Good maintenance proper care IS priority.
With at least a 200+hp motor, fairly new graphs/TM, trailer in good to excellent shape(NO PIA TUBE FRAMES).
Transom! Properly sealed/maintained most important. Even "ALL COMPOSITE" transom/hulls WILL delaminate if waterlogged!!
Learn as much as you can about each brand. Its overwhelming sometimes & a lot of biased opinions out there.
All those listed above have loyal followers, but in general they ALSO are or were associated with good quality workmanship/builds.
Its more the QUALITY of the care & maintenance they received since built that matters.
It may not be NEW & $60K, but to me, $20-25K, is still a LOT of money!!!
There are beginning to be a few small businesses that target bass boats & focus on QUALITY. I personally know of 2 of them. Pm me if you want to know. One has been doing it for around 3 years, but is almost overloaded, the other is pretty new but QUALITY is first in both. They don't & wont sell junk & ARE worth checking out.
Don't buy without lake testing a boat! EVER. But, be ready to BUY when you ask for a lake test. Have money, financing, whatever READY to go. Tirekickers aren't appreciated much & word travels fast. It costs someone money every time. Don't be offended if you're.asked to put up a $$ non refundable deposit for a lake test. It will be applied to purchase price if you buy it. This lets them know you're serious & ready to buy, NOT a tirekicker. Its a fair business practice.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: looking to buy - 07/23/18 04:29 PM

Lot longer list of what not to buy than what to.

Re: looking to buy - 07/23/18 06:24 PM

It's sound advice and I can see where due diligence would pay off
Posted By: texcajun

Re: looking to buy - 07/24/18 02:14 PM

Absolutely the best advice is be ready to drop the coin if you are going for a test ride. BUT, there is one more option that worked for me with the last boat I bought.

I spoke with the seller prior to testing the boat and offered him a non refundable deposit of $500 deposit for his boat. The only contingency was he take it off the market for 2 months to allow me time to sell my old boat. I explained the cash was his to keep if I didn't sell mine in the allotted time. He was gracious and said I could keep my cash, but I gave it to him anyway and asked only that he apply it to final agreed upon price.

My boat was sold in 2 weeks, and my upgraded ride only cost me $1800 out of pocket.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: looking to buy - 07/25/18 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: texcajun
Absolutely the best advice is be ready to drop the coin if you are going for a test ride. BUT, there is one more option that worked for me with the last boat I bought.

I spoke with the seller prior to testing the boat and offered him a non refundable deposit of $500 deposit for his boat. The only contingency was he take it off the market for 2 months to allow me time to sell my old boat. I explained the cash was his to keep if I didn't sell mine in the allotted time. He was gracious and said I could keep my cash, but I gave it to him anyway and asked only that he apply it to final agreed upon price.

My boat was sold in 2 weeks, and my upgraded ride only cost me $1800 out of pocket.

Very creative idea!!!!
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: looking to buy - 07/26/18 06:14 AM

Not many Legends out there for sale. If you could find an Alpha series or newer in that price range I wouldn’t hesitate, as long as everything checked out. I have one and it’s by far the best boat I’ve owned! It’s BERY solid!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum