Texas Fishing Forum

Gas tank Leaking

Posted By: chas1

Gas tank Leaking - 07/19/18 10:41 PM

I have a 17 foot express bass boat, with a 10 gallon Portable plastic gas tank with the plastic screw on cap, if it’s more than half full, gas leaks around the threads , Not out of the vent on the cap, I know it’s common for those portable tanks to leak a little gas around the cap , But is this anything I need to worry about and replace the tank, not sure I can find another cap for this tank,
The gasket looks good inside the cap ,so I’m not sure why it’s leaking ,
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/20/18 12:24 AM

Do you loosen the cap to let the air out of the tank before you do any fishing? Also could be a lot of expansion from the heat also. Could get another 10 gallon tank and try that out and see if you get the same results?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/20/18 12:58 AM

Your tank must be vented. Or it does what it’s doing.
Posted By: chas1

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/20/18 01:18 AM

Yes I have the vent screw loosened and is getting air and it’s not choking down.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/20/18 02:15 AM

Ok I’d be looking for another tank. That one sounds compromised.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/20/18 06:24 PM

replace the tank fuel tanks are cheap compared to fuel getting into the bilge an a spark from a battery or other electrical connections could lead to a disaster
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/21/18 12:04 PM

I hope this question is relevant to this thread. If the fuel tank is vented, why does it release pressure when I open the fuel tank cap to fill up?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Gas tank Leaking - 07/22/18 06:47 PM

Many EPA rules and regulations went into effect in 2009. Vents cannot be open-air vented like they always have been in the past. Portable tanks have even more restrictions. Some of the 2014 and up fuel tanks are pressurized and have a relief valve that will open if the pressure gets too high.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum