Texas Fishing Forum

PICS - Keel repair from beaching

Posted By: BSHAW27

PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/27/18 01:48 AM

I just bought a used boat and the previous owner regularly beached it in the sand next to his local dock to move his truck and trailer on and off the ramp. He never had a keel guard and slowly rubbed off all the gelcoat. I'm trying to decide how to repair this before I install a keel guard over it. I don't care how it looks since it will be covered but I want to make sure it is sealed so no water is getting to the fiberglass.

This might be dumb.....but I was planning to use Rapid Set MarineTex over the exposed fiberglass area and then wet sand the patch and surrounding areas to smooth out some of the other scratches. Then let it set and cure for a couple weeks before installing a keel guard.

Any thoughts?

Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/27/18 01:52 AM

I'm liking your thinking.
I wouldn't use the quick set.
And make DANG sure you've cleaned everything with acetone before you lay on the marine tex.
If you lay clear packing tape over the repair, it'll cure up a lot smoother, and a lot less sanding will be needed.

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/27/18 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
I'm liking your thinking.
I wouldn't use the quick set.
And make DANG sure you've cleaned everything with acetone before you lay on the marine tex.
If you lay clear packing tape over the repair, it'll cure up a lot smoother, and a lot less sanding will be needed.

Thanks. Just to make sure I understand. MarineTex is a good option but you wouldn't use the quick set. So go with the MarineTex epoxy putty?

Will definitely do acetone first! (Thanks I forgot to mention that)

You are saying after I put the MarineTex on to cover it with clear packing tape? Do I do this immediately after applying or wait for it to start curing first? I'm assuming once it cures I pull the tape off and then sand. Seems like an awesome solution I never would have considered!
Posted By: CADD

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/27/18 02:58 AM

It's what I did with my boat smile Has worked fine for 10+ years
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/27/18 11:24 AM

Yeah, put the tape on as soon as you apply.

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/27/18 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: CADD
It's what I did with my boat smile Has worked fine for 10+ years

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Yeah, put the tape on as soon as you apply.

Thanks to you both for the replies! I feel alot better about doing this after your feedback. Now I just need to go get some Putty instead of the quick set MarineTex.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 06/28/18 09:44 PM

Look into a Hamby's Beaching Bumper if you beach the boat much. More expensive, but a much heavier duty Keel guard.
Posted By: cowtown

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 07/01/18 04:13 PM

I agree with Pat, we used that exact method to repair our Hobie Cat hulls for years and it is quick and bullet proof. Wet sanding will give you a surface that is perfect and tough.

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 08/19/18 01:58 PM

I forgot to take any pictures after I sanded the repair down or during the prep and installation. but thanks again to those that gave advice here I am very happy with the results. I used the marine tex for the repair and let it cure for a couple of weeks. Then sanded it down last week. And yesterday I did all the prep work and installed the keel guard.

Posted By: vicstric

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 08/19/18 06:23 PM

Very nice job!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: PICS - Keel repair from beaching - 08/22/18 06:54 PM

Looks nice!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum