Texas Fishing Forum

TM shaft size for pontoon

Posted By: Sandblaster

TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/10/18 06:54 PM

I have a 19.5 foot pontoon boat and would like to install a Ulterra. I would prefer getting a 36 volt but it seems that the only shaft length sizes for the 36 volt is 45 inches and 60 inches. Is 60 inches just entirely too long? 45 inches seems too short.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/11/18 12:37 AM

Nothing is too long unless it won't fit on the boat. I prefer a longer shaft so that on rougher days, I can keep the TM deeper so it stays in the water when the boat is rocking.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/11/18 06:32 AM

60 inches will be fine ....
Posted By: boocat

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/11/18 01:38 PM

Minn Kota seems to think that 48" is ok. That's the length of their "pontoon" motor, but it only goes up to 24v 68LB. I'm sure they wouldn't sell it if it was not appropriate, it can also be fitted with co-pilot, I-pilot... It's the one I'm looking at for an 18' bass buggy. I did some casual measuring and it certainly looks ok. Longer shaft will take a lot of space on a small boat. I don't know about Ulterra but on their basic motor models it is possible to remove the head, cut the shaft and reassemble. I've done it on a Traxxis.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/12/18 02:55 AM

I have a 60" ulterra on my bass boat because 45 would have been too short. You can trim it up or down with a touch of the button. I would say that if I can use a 60" on my boat, you would probably have no problem with it on a pontoon. Measure down 45" from the deck and see where the head would be. Take into consideration how much the front of the boat would lift in a little rough water. It will ride a higher above your deck if you are in shallow water but you learn to work around it pretty easily. In deep water you can just trim it all the way down. It actually makes it easier to steer with it up higher because you have to look at the head to see the direction it is headed anyway.

You can't trim the shaft down like the other motors because this one has a belt. It probably can be done but not easily getting everything to sync up for the auto deploy and stow.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/12/18 01:36 PM

60in. works fine.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/12/18 02:45 PM

Yeah, 45" is too short. If you are fishing in moderate chop, you'll struggle keeping the prop in the water and lose traction. 60" is what I had on mine and had no problem. It does take up a little deck space when not deployed but it wasn't a big deal.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: TM shaft size for pontoon - 04/12/18 09:16 PM

Everyman wants a longer shaft....duh

nannyboo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum