Texas Fishing Forum

Trim Tabs

Posted By: Micheal

Trim Tabs - 03/27/18 02:29 AM

Pros and Cons for putting trim tabs on a 2008 22ft Bay Champ.
200 Merc. Opti. 10" hyd. jack.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/27/18 02:35 AM

No cons only pros. Can get on plane faster and shallower. Can also stay on plane at lower speeds.

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/27/18 12:19 PM

any more thoughts
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/27/18 01:08 PM

Trim tabs will help keep you dry in the wind. When running perpendicular to the chop running you can raise the windward side of the boat which greatly reduces spay. I learned this from a guide in south Louisiana. We were running across the bay in his CC. I was sitting in the back getting soaked. He saw me and adjusted his trim and no more spray. When I got home I installed Lencos on my Fish Master, what a difference.

Also you can improve the ride in heavy chop by adjusting bow height.

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/27/18 01:12 PM

Also in really choppy water trimming down will not only keep the bow down but provide some stern lift. Amazing how it will smooth out the ride. On calm water trim them up all the way and they will have no effect on speed since they will be completely out of the water.

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/27/18 01:43 PM

Good info. Anymore experiences?
Posted By: Samarai

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/28/18 01:46 PM

everything above is true. i had a 20 ft bay boat without trim and it would beat u to death and get u wet when crossing a choppy bay. on my new boat, i got it installed and the difference is night and day. Not bad for a 600 dollar investment. Also makes planing much quicker, which really helps when u have four grown men standing in the back.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/28/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Micheal
Pros and Cons for putting trim tabs on a 2008 22ft Bay Champ.
200 Merc. Opti. 10" hyd. jack.
What prop are you running on your Champ? I have the same boat and motor and right now it has a 15.25x19 Michigan Apollo. Prop has no bite at full trim and I might be running 1-2" off transom. I can only run full trim in a very straight line. Also only turning 5200 at WOT. I have had it higher and maintained PSI but lose grip so I lowered the motor. I have a Power Tech OFS3 15.25x17 on the way. Can't wait to try it out. Holeshot which is fine now should be incredible with the Power Tech. I tried running the Tempest Plus that I had on my 375V Ranger but it was just too much prop. I have heard that the Tempest Plus is also and excellent choice but in a much lower pitch than the one I had.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/29/18 01:50 PM

they will also allow you to level the boat when folks sit on one side or the other.

Re: Trim Tabs - 03/29/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
they will also allow you to level the boat when folks sit on one side or the other.

Especially if your guest are the type to enjoy all you can eat buffets
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum