Texas Fishing Forum

Are deep cycles always needed?

Posted By: Froghunter

Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/08/18 03:40 AM

If you run your boat almost every weekend and keep it on a trickle charger when not being ran is a deep cycle battery needed? This question is just for the cranking battery....with a 25hp Yamaha.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/08/18 12:39 PM

Yes because on a boat you want as much reserve power as possible because of accessories running off of the cranking battery which run without the outboard running.
Posted By: Froghunter

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/08/18 01:47 PM

No accessories what so ever...just used to start the motor. Nothing else.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/08/18 02:36 PM

Not necessarily for just starting. You want a battery that has high capacity and releases that power quickly to fire the engine. I recommend to stay with a battery designed for marine environments. They have a heavier case and are designed for the extra vibration.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/09/18 01:30 AM

Stowaway Exides from academy is all you need.. I have 2 on my boat for cranking/accessories for 2 years now and no issues. My last set were the same thing, and lasted 6 years.
Posted By: EastBay Boats

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/12/18 12:16 PM

Never ending battle, deep cycle are for low amp pull at a continued constance draw, and a staring battery is for max draw for short burst
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/12/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: EastBay Boats
Never ending battle, deep cycle are for low amp pull at a continued constance draw, and a staring battery is for max draw for short burst

plus on the charging side, deep cycle batteries are designed to take a low amp charge compared to a starting battery that accepts a high amp charge
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/13/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: spankyttx
Originally Posted By: EastBay Boats

plus on the charging side, deep cycle batteries are designed to take a low amp charge compared to a starting battery that accepts a high amp charge

I will respectfully add that it depends on the brand of deep cycle battery. There are true deep cycle batteries that need a very high charge rate in order to stay healthy. Charging them at a low rate will cause sulfation of the plates. Always follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Marc
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Are deep cycles always needed? - 03/21/18 03:56 PM

For the longest time, I ran a walmart car battery to start my 90hp motor, and never had a problem. But I didn't have a lot of electronics or pumps running off it. When I upgraded to a larger motor, I put deep cycle in to run pumps for the live well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum