Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements

Posted By: Endo

Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/20/18 08:28 PM

I have a question on the Current rules and regulations for getting a trailer registered. Looking for feedback from people who have done this recently in the past couple years (because I've heard they are becoming more strict). I have been through this process before, but was 7 years ago or more. Here are the particulars:

* I am purchasing an oldish trailer.
* Assume this is a home-made trailer (no VINs anywhere on the trailer)
* It is less than 4,500 lbs (no title is required for the trailer).
* Two scenarios: First - the trailer has no plates and not registered in the owners name. Second scenario - assume it does have plates and registered in the owners name.
* This will be in Williamson County if that matters

Are there any roadblocks that would prevent me from getting this trailer registered in my name? I have read the Tax Assessor guidelines, but they are not real clear on what are big issues that would block me from getting it registered. I understand I have to go get it inspected for potential theft, but concerned on the prior owner registration issue, assume they don't have one.

https://www.wilco.org/Elected-Officials/Tax-Assessor-Collector/Motor-Vehicle/Trailers

What has been your first-hand experience on the process?

Thanks.

Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/20/18 08:42 PM

I did this two years ago in Aransas County. I had dis-assembled my trailer to de-rust the frame and paint the parts. After it was painted, I laid all the parts out on my driveway and took pics. When I went to the Tax Office, I showed them the pics and they said, "Oh, home-made", and immediately gave(sold) me a registration and a plate. You don't want to have any brand-names or decals if you're claiming "home-made".

Some counties are more picky than others. Also, if you get the "wrong clerk" on the "wrong day", they can make you jump thru hoops. It's mostly about the money. $$$$$ Good luck! IslandJim
Posted By: LakeForkBoatAccessories

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/20/18 10:16 PM

Just to let you know how bad it can get. A friend bought a trailer from a guy that had done some modifications to a manufactured trailer and had it registered as homemade. My friend wasted to get it registered correctly.
They told him to bring it to a certain place to get it inspected. Then they confiscated the trailer. Since the original VIN was never registered he could not prove it was not stolen.
This happened in Montgomery County Tx. Good luck
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/20/18 10:34 PM

So basically pass on all manufactured trailers with out registration paper work?
Posted By: Endo

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/20/18 10:38 PM

Yes, the assumption here is that there are no VINs / Mfg Decals or other what-not on the trailer. If there are, that is a different animal and I won't touch one without the proper registrations from the seller in order.

This is strictly about purchasing your random home-made generic type trailer and being able to get it registered (license plate) in your name.

Remember, if the trailer is under 4,500 lbs, you don't have to have the trailer titled.

Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/20/18 11:01 PM

Understood. Thank you.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/21/18 12:17 AM

I just checked today the law seems to have changed to 7000 lbs + now per state website, DPS and Big Tex.
They said how many lug nuts over 5 needs inspection wad a good guess as a single axel is 3500 lbs late last year change of law.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/22/18 06:31 PM

I bought a single axle homemade utility trailer several years ago. All I needed in Rockwall county was a bill of sale. Only problem with the homemade trailer is you cannot renew it online.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Trailer Registration Rules & Requirements - 02/22/18 08:24 PM

just tell them it was homemade wink
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum