Texas Fishing Forum

Alumacraft 1860 Tunnel horsepower recommendation

Posted By: MamaTried-ATX

Alumacraft 1860 Tunnel horsepower recommendation - 02/01/18 05:31 PM

I'm replacing my current jon boat. I've been running a 16x48 all weld semi V for years but I need a bit more room. With a 18x60 with tunnel, how much horsepower is needed to make the tunnel work effectively? 115 hp is the max rated and 60 hp the min Alumacraft rigs them with. I'm thinking 75 or 90 hp. Anyone run one of these rigs?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Alumacraft 1860 Tunnel horsepower recommendation - 02/01/18 06:02 PM

I sold and rigged a bunch of them, it's a good hull. Put the 90 or 115 on it. Nobody ever whined about a rated motor, everyone who went less regretted the decision.

You'll want to set it up with a 4" bob's hydraulic plate, powertech flats cup prop and a compression plate, that will allow you to run with the prop completely above the bottom of the hull. 4" run depth easy.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Alumacraft 1860 Tunnel horsepower recommendation - 02/02/18 08:37 PM

If you can afford the 115, put it on there. DO NOT GO WITH LESS THAN 90! You will be terribly disappointed. Just got rid of a 1650 Alumacraft tunnel hull and like Pat mentioned, hydraulic jack plate, cupped prop and a compression plate will allow you to get every bit of performance out of it.

I love tunnel hulls, as they'll go places a conventional hull won't, but there are trade offs. If you're looking for a speedy boat, stay away from the tunnel. They are designed to go skinny, not fast. That's why you want to go with the biggest motor you can get. Anything less than 90 and that boat'll just be a dog.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum