Texas Fishing Forum

Question - going from stainless to aluminum

Posted By: TripletsFish

Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/20/18 09:02 PM

I will be captaining a high school team on Toledo Bend, next weekend, and I want to put on an aluminum prop because of all of the trees. Currently, I have a 4-blade stainless 13.75” with 23 pitch. The closest aluminum I could find to these dimensions is a 3-blade 13.75” with 21 pitch. Will that work or should I look for something different? Thanks
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/20/18 09:39 PM

I’d leave on what you’ve got.
Any aluminum is going to run like garbage. Bump a stump with stainless and you’re still going. Same bump with aluminum and you’re down.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/21/18 12:12 AM

Stay stainless
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/22/18 07:44 PM

I think the OP may have been more concerned about damage to his prop-shaft/lower unit. Is there any truth that prop-shaft/lower unit damage is less likely in case of a strike if an aluminum prop is used?
Posted By: TripletsFish

Re: Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/23/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: BigDad
I think the OP may have been more concerned about damage to his prop-shaft/lower unit. Is there any truth that prop-shaft/lower unit damage is less likely in case of a strike if an aluminum prop is used?

I always heard that an aluminum prop will save the lower unit, because the blades will sheer off. Last April, on Palestine, I hit a stump with my 90hp and took off 2 of my 3. I put on my backup prop and was good to go.

I was just thinking about going aluminum for the weekend, then back to stainless on less stumpy lakes.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/23/18 12:46 AM

I guided on toledo, fished every stump hole in Texas. Never bent a prop shaft. The prop has a hub that should let go before it bends anything repeat *should*...

I wouldn't want to be caught on the wrong side of the lake if it gets nasty trying to negotiate big waves with a aluminum prop that can't hold water.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Question - going from stainless to aluminum - 01/23/18 01:44 AM

I bent a prop shaft once, backed into a submerged bolder. Funny thing it was an aluminum prop.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum