Texas Fishing Forum

prop

Posted By: coachallentca

prop - 01/06/18 03:33 AM

I have a 18'8 bass boat and I am running a Turbo 1. My RPM's are 5000 and my top speed is 55mph. I have a great hole shot. My question is my rpm's are low. What can I do to get them up. I have a manual jackplate. Also would it better to go down to a 21p prop? Please if any can help if you can...
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: prop - 01/06/18 11:30 AM

What boat and motor? First thing I always check is the throttle activation. Is it going to full throttle? If that checks out I would check out Steves custom props on setting up motor height.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: prop - 01/06/18 02:50 PM

Most outboards need to be turning at least 5500 rpms WOT. Check what Gary mentioned and make sure your tach is accurate.

Re: prop - 01/06/18 03:26 PM

sorry it's a Mercy 150 EFI. Oh and the water pressure is around 12 to 15.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: prop - 01/06/18 04:13 PM

Details.
What boat?
Jack plate?
What kind of load?
Better the details the better the answer.

Re: prop - 01/06/18 09:23 PM

it's a cobra bass boat and its has a manual jack plate I run two people about 325 lbs. 3 trolling motors batteries and one starting battery.

Re: prop - 01/06/18 09:30 PM

Raising your motor will increase rpms.
You can go up 1/4” at a time until you lose speed, lift or water pressure. Then back one click and you’ll know where that prop can run.
All that said turbo is still a turd. If you want potential it’ll come from a 23 Yamaha M or merc tempest of the same pitch.

I’d lean to the M a bit more.

Proper boat setup takes time.

Re: prop - 01/06/18 10:50 PM

Thanks Pat..
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: prop - 01/07/18 02:49 PM

What pitch is the prop you are running? My 150 EFI on my 18.5 ft Avalanche boat does best with a 21" Trophy 4 blade.
3X better hole shot that the 23" Tempest it came with and 2-3 mph more on top end at 5500rpm.
The Tracker Avalanche is a heavy boat. Tops out around 3000 lb with 2 people and full tank.

Re: prop - 01/07/18 03:15 PM

Avalanche is a different critter. Actually every avalanche is different. I've had the joy of setting up three of them and all three needed different setups/props/plates/accessories.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: prop - 01/08/18 01:21 AM

Listen to Pat
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: prop - 01/08/18 03:17 PM

Hard to compare any 2 boats or motors. Some just simply run better than others. Even 2 props with the same pitch will be different. Different props can require a different motor height.

Re: prop - 01/08/18 03:47 PM

I was trying to be kind to an avalanche owner, it's one of those looks good on paper type hulls.
The three we setup were all different, one had 6 degrees negative angle on the transom, one had five degrees positive transom angle, and one that was the biggest pain to subdue had a 3" rocker in the hull.

Like Gary said, no two anything are identical. All you can do is start here and figure out where to go from there.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: prop - 01/08/18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
I was trying to be kind to an avalanche owner, it's one of those looks good on paper type hulls.
The three we setup were all different, one had 6 degrees negative angle on the transom, one had five degrees positive transom angle, and one that was the biggest pain to subdue had a 3" rocker in the hull.

Like Gary said, no two anything are identical. All you can do is start here and figure out where to go from there.

I guess I lucked out. Mine is flat like the earth:) Runs 60 GPS with no jack plate.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum