Texas Fishing Forum

1999 Tohatsu 90HP

Posted By: Ryan B

1999 Tohatsu 90HP - 01/04/18 02:18 AM

Hey guys we just picked up a 1999 Tohatsu 90hp to repower our old shoalwater boat. Vintage marine in Port O Connor is who we bought it from and they are installing it and everything for us. It has no corrosion under the cowling and looked very clean. They told us they will test it out and run it and if something goes wrong they will give us Are money back. Are these good motors and what are some common issues? I just never really see alot of tohatsus on the water so let me know about these motors.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: 1999 Tohatsu 90HP - 01/04/18 02:51 AM

I ran a 90 Nissan same motor as Tohatsu for a number of years. Only problem I ever had was one fuel pump went out. If I needed a two stroke motor it would be a Tohatsu
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: 1999 Tohatsu 90HP - 01/04/18 03:16 AM

I put over 7,000 hours of abuse on mine.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 1999 Tohatsu 90HP - 01/04/18 12:57 PM

Good motors we ran them at a fishing camp in Old Mexico for several years. They get really abused in a fishing camp.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: 1999 Tohatsu 90HP - 01/05/18 07:28 AM

I had one and thought they must be junk because I'd never seen another one but I found it they are pretty good. Not sure why they aren't more popular but never heard anything bad about them. I finally got rid of it when it was so old that parts just weren't available anymore
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: 1999 Tohatsu 90HP - 01/05/18 02:36 PM

Tohatsu made all the 2 stroke boards for mercury up to 2005 from 90hp and below, I believe. The core motor design has been unchanged for years, with upgrades added along the years. They are the Japanese work horses, use primarily in saltwater conditions around the world.

I have owned a 25hp branded by Mercury since 2001 and I run the heck out of it, I have had to replace the fuel pump diaphragm about every 4-5 years. Maintenence is a joke. Very good power to weight ratio. I own a 2017 50hp tldi now, very similar like a big brother to the 25. It has injectors, sensors, on board computer, more tech. I have only put 12 hrs on it so far. The place I bought it from hails it's reliability. They told me that of the decades they have been saleing them they could count on their hands the number returned for warranty work.

With that being said, I am a maintenence freak! Bad thing about a used motor is you don't know how the owner treated the engine. Unless they keep a detail maintenence log with receipts like I do. Or they have dealer records of maintence. If you trust the dealer you are buying it from and they perform diagnostics on the outboard. You should be confident.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum