Texas Fishing Forum

Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke?

Posted By: Mordecai

Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 01:20 AM

115 HP Merc, video of the smoking.

I recently bought some conventional QuickSilver oil and it started doing this.

After I saw this smoke, I went out and got the synthetic blend, I haven't used it yet.

Is this excessive? It's only doing this while idling.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 01:53 AM

Cold morning, cold motor? If so seems normal.

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 01:57 AM

Yeah, it was colder than normal in my part of Texas. I would say 40-50s?

Cold for here, anyway.

I think it'll go back down once I switch to synthetic, hopefully.

When I came in that evening, it was still smoking like a beast, but not nearly as prolific.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 02:04 AM

Make sure you run Quick Kleen also. If its smoking more it's carboning up more also. Carbon buildup can happen quicker than you think. Quicksilver meets requirements but it's still not the quality of Synthetic blend.

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Make sure you run Quick Kleen also. If its smoking more it's carboning up more also. Carbon buildup can happen quicker than you think. Quicksilver meets requirements but it's still not the quality of Synthetic blend.

What oil do you recommend? I don't mind paying good money for oil if it's going to be good. I run Marine StaBil, is that the same as Quick Kleen?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 03:35 AM

QuickSilvers cheap grade will smoke plenty. Use a synthetic blend of your choosing.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 06:38 AM

quicksilver will smoke like hell. I use the synthetic pennz on mine.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 07:09 AM

Marine Stabil is not the same as Quickleen. Stabil is a fuel stabilizer. Quick Kleen is Mercury's carbon remover. Removes carbon deposits which are a bad deal in 2 strokes. If you don't run it regularly, your motor SHOULD be decarboned at least once a year minimum. I just run it all the time at the rate called for. Keeps engine clean.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/18/17 12:06 PM

Mercury Premium Plus, its a semi-synthetic. Save your jugs and you can get them filled at most Mercury dealers from bulk...save a few bucks.

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/19/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Mercury Premium Plus, its a semi-synthetic. Save your jugs and you can get them filled at most Mercury dealers from bulk...save a few bucks.

I just got a bunch of the Premium Plus full synthetic today. Going to mix her out. I posted this in different places and I got the same response about the oil I'm using and how it smokes like crazy.

Marine Stabil is not the same as Quickleen. Stabil is a fuel stabilizer. Quick Kleen is Mercury's carbon remover. Removes carbon deposits which are a bad deal in 2 strokes. If you don't run it regularly, your motor SHOULD be decarboned at least once a year minimum. I just run it all the time at the rate called for. Keeps engine clean.

I'ma go out and find some. I can get it on Amazon, but I wonder if a local place might have it. There's no Merc dealer around here.

Anyone know where I can get the Quickleen treatment stuff around Conroe?
Posted By: DJB

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/19/17 03:21 AM

Academy has both.

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/19/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Vidahr
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

I just got a bunch of the Premium Plus full synthetic today. Going to mix her out. I posted this in different places and I got the same response about the oil I'm using and how it smokes like crazy.

Go get you some Sea Foam and never look back. It`s all you need as it replaces stable and any carbon cleaner.

I'ma go out and find some. I can get it on Amazon, but I wonder if a local place might have it. There's no Merc dealer around here.

Anyone know where I can get the Quickleen treatment stuff around Conroe?

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/20/17 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Go get you some Sea Foam and never look back. It`s all you need as it replaces stable and any carbon cleaner

I'm looking at SeaFoam, it has incredible reviews. So it's like StaBil and Quickleen combined? It's like an all-in-one treatment, aye? Looks good.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/20/17 06:09 AM

I use seafoam and like it a lot. Easy to find at most any auto parts store and you'll find they have specials on it quite often.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/20/17 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I use seafoam and like it a lot. Easy to find at most any auto parts store and you'll find they have specials on it quite often.

Academy usually has Sea Foam for $6.99, that’s the cheapest I normally see it. The problem is you end up spending on other stuff while there. bang
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/20/17 01:29 PM

You can buy sea foam by the gallon and save $$.

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/20/17 01:34 PM

You don`t have to go anywhere. Amazon
Sea Foam sf-16 Motor Treatment, 16 oz.
4.7 out of 5 stars
List Price: $19.99
Price: $6.99 Free shipping
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/20/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Vidahr
I just got a bunch of the Premium Plus full synthetic today. Going to mix her out.

Mercury Premium Plus is a semi-synthetic, not a full synthetic.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/28/17 08:53 PM

That's fine in my opinion , just start fishing
Posted By: BODA

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/29/17 01:23 PM

when I start my boat in the driveway to test fire before leaving the house, it looks like a 10 acre grass fire, especially when it is cold. that isn't much smoke
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 12/31/17 07:08 PM

That's nothing, first time out this year mine look like a M18 going off, I was freaking out.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 01/01/18 01:18 AM

I use Lucas oil fuel treatment, love it.
Posted By: Bullet[BS]

Re: Is this excessive smoke for a 2-stroke? - 01/05/18 11:38 AM

Conventional will always smoke more than Synthetic. Go back to your Synthetic and you will be fine. Just use your stabil and run 93 oct fuel in that Merc and it will be fine. Stay with Quick Silver.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum