Texas Fishing Forum

Abu Garcia vs. Lew's

Posted By: slipbobber

Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/19/17 08:55 PM

Getting back into fishing and want to spend some good money on a reel.

I used to use Abu but I've heard a lot about Lew's.

Are these brands even comparable?
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/19/17 09:44 PM

Lew's all the way
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/19/17 09:47 PM

Yeah, they are comparable, and I have several each, but give the edge to Lews.
Posted By: slipbobber

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/19/17 09:53 PM

I don't really remember Lew's from when I used to fish a lot. But they seem pretty good. Whatever happened to the old green Shimanos? they still make them?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/20/17 01:45 AM

Shimano Curado, Chronarch, Metanium or if you prefer round reels Shimano Calcutta, Conquest.....I have a couple Lews that are smooth and cast great, just haven't had as much luck with them staying that way as I have had with Shimanos....
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/20/17 02:15 PM

Lews reels abu rods
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/20/17 02:36 PM

Lews and TFO rods hard to beat
Posted By: Jeff Jones Reel Service

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/21/17 08:00 PM

Just about the same on the inside. Choose which one feels better in your hand!!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/24/17 09:18 PM

LEWS!!!!!
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/24/17 10:23 PM

don't think you can go wrong with Lews or Abu, I have both. Having said that I have Shimano Curado
that's great
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/29/17 01:38 AM

I would take the Lew's over the Abu, but would take a Shimano over both.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 08/30/17 09:06 PM

I have been a pretty diehard Shimano fan for the past 15 years. No complaints with them but I have upgraded a lot of combos of late and opted for some of the Gen 3 Abu reels. I have several premiers, winches, SX's and a rocket. While Shimano may or may not hold up better, right out of the box I actually now prefer the Abu reels. I like how they adjust (I didn't at first coming from Shimano) and I really like the price/quality. I no have as many Abu reels as I do Shimano and I'm probably not buying another Shimano unless I get a steal. I have fished a few Lews and they seem fine too, just don't have a lot of experience with them.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/06/17 02:43 PM

I've had them all and Lew's beats them in many areas. Shimano is nice but a little heavier and not as low profile being more comfortable to palm. A lot of folks fish with 3-4 reels and rarely clean and lube them, then wonder why they're having problems. This NOT to say that a reel(any brand) here and there won't require a repair. If you throw a crankbait 75% of the time, your crankbait reel won't last as long as others. Having many combos and regularly servicing them allows your reels to last a lifetime. For this and other reasons I keep 15+- reels in my boat and a few more in the rack at home, ALL but 2 are Lews. None have given me a bit trouble at all and I fish a lot!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/12/17 04:46 AM

I have shimano Calcuttas, lews, and some abu's. The Calcuttas were the smoothest reels made at the time I got them. They are heavier and bulkier. Still loved them. When I went to Venezuela to fish for peacock bass, they told us not to bring them. Their words " they won't stand up and will strip out the gears. Bring abu's." Abu's are round and solid. Smooth enough and workhorses. Just bought some lews recently. Low profile, very smooth, and seem to hold up well. Just as smooth or more so as my Calcuttas. Lighter and easier to hold all day.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/12/17 03:19 PM

if you opened a lews and a abu you would see very similar internals...they are almost identical
Posted By: RonL

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/12/17 04:00 PM

I have both also and I use the Abu more than the Lews cause it just physically fits better and cast better for me . The Abu is a Pro Max Low Profile , smooth as silk casting : http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-reels...15&start=19 . The Lews is a BB1 Speed Spool . Great reel , cast very nice : https://www.lews.com/casting/bb1 . But as I said I prefer my Abu over the Lews .
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/12/17 09:36 PM

Both are great reels, myself I converted to 100% Lews, they just felt better in my hand. Just go pick them up and play with them and see what fits you best.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/13/17 01:01 AM

Lews BB1 PRO hard to beat, also Super Duty
Posted By: Canny

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/15/17 06:54 PM

Given the choice between the 2 I would take Lews over Abu
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 09/16/17 05:56 PM

I sold 12 Revo STX reels and bought 12 Lews!
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 11/02/17 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Buckshotbuddy
Lews reels abu rods

This is exactly how my rods and reels are set up.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 11/02/17 04:29 PM

I recently sold 12 Revo STX and bought various Lews and am pleased.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 11/04/17 05:29 AM

Abu nuff said
Posted By: wyatt c

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 11/08/17 01:08 AM

the only abu ive used that i like is the mgx. i have a ton of lews and havent had any problems with them, i have had problems with some abus before, the revo s. i have lews, shimanos, abus, 13s, and diawas. i like the lews the best overall. not to say that i dont like my higher end other brand reels though either. ill sell you a diawa sv103 if you want it roflmao
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 11/29/17 10:38 PM

I have some of both and prefer the Abu's. The Lews are not bad though.
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 11/30/17 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 03svtsnakevert
if you opened a lews and a abu you would see very similar internals...they are almost identical

Plus a lot of the parts are interchangeable.
Posted By: cjbles

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 12/16/17 02:50 AM

I prefer Lews
Posted By: Lunker23

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 12/17/17 05:09 PM

I prefer Lew’s BB1 Pro series and the Team Lew’s as well. It seems that they just stay together much longer and are quieter.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 12/23/17 03:27 AM

Abu is still better. Lews are junk . stir
Posted By: Jason Hillhouse

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 12/28/17 08:25 PM

Abu is better, I used to have 12 lews combos and 5 abu combos and they were stolen. But now I have 22 combos mostly shimano and diawa but a few lews and abu but the best reels on the market are older shimano E series shimano cores aldebaran metanium curado200E citica200E chronarch200E and the only new shimano I like are the Curado K’s I have two and the higher end ones that are still made in Japan.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 01/24/18 05:39 AM

Very new to baitcasters. However, I bought two Lew’s about six months ago, and I have been very pleased with them.
Posted By: LMG

Re: Abu Garcia vs. Lew's - 01/24/18 02:10 PM

Both made by the same company in Korea, Doyo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum