Texas Fishing Forum

Magging a reel w/ pics

Posted By: Skavatar

Magging a reel w/ pics - 06/16/17 12:01 AM

When I started surf fishing about 13 years ago I tried several different reels. Finally decided on the Penn 545 GS. With the help and knowledge of the guys on Surf-masters forum. I learned how to mag my reels. Don't remember exactly who made the post.
Over the past year I've acquired several Penn Squall 30's on ebay for a really good price to replace my 545GS's.

5 minute epoxy (mixing container)
zinc plated steel washers (needs to be ferrous)
sharp blade
screwdriver
neodynium magnets (still had some from my first magging)

remove the side plates
Posted By: Skavatar

Re: Magging a reel w/ pics - 06/16/17 12:02 AM

score the inside of the reel, not absolutely necessary but helps the epoxy to adhere better.

mix a little bit of epoxy, put a drop on the scored area and spread in a circular motion. place a zinc washer on and wait 30 minutes or so. the first reel I magged I used 3 washers and 5 neodynium mags. It was way too much. Went down to 3 mags. Then later on, only used 2 mags. Never had another birds nest again. smile

the epoxy will take several hours to cure, but sticky enough to hold the washer and mags in place. I keep a few mags with my little maintenance bag in case i need to retune while fishing. These reels are easy enough to remove the left side plate and add or remove a mag.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum