Texas Fishing Forum

What do I need to clean my reels?

Posted By: Rhino68W

What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 01:03 PM

I have an Abu Garcia Black Max reel that need a good cleaning. Just wondering what I need to get for this. I've never cleaned a good reel, so this one will be a good sacrifice if I mess it up.
Posted By: crabtrap

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 01:35 PM

A couple old toothbrushes (one for scrubbing, one for gear grease application), good set of small phillips and flat screwdrivers, needle nosed pliers and a small awl. Use 50/50 mix or Simple Green and water, either Shimano or Cals drag grease, good reel oil and grease ( Ardent products are fine). Paper towels, bunch of Qtips, and I like to work on a clear, flat, well lite, surface using a clean white towel as a work mat. I take pics every step of the way and lay my parts outs in exact order upon disassembly. Having a schematic for your reel is great.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 02:07 PM

Everything hooked said is great! Plus you can take washers and items that go over the reel shaft and as you remove them, slide them over the shaft of another screwdriver that way you won't get them out of order and you can put them back on the way they came off when your done. The main thing is getting the old grease out and getting fresh, new grease and oil back in.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 03:09 PM

Any good videos you guys recommend? I have seen a few on YT but they seem very much for the experienced reel cleaner.

What do you use the cleaning solution for exactly? Cleaning parts before oiling them?

And how do you get the old grease out of the bearings?

EDIT: Thanks again for the input guys.
Posted By: crabtrap

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 04:33 PM

read all of this post
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...e_g#Post3367725
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Any good videos you guys recommend? I have seen a few on YT but they seem very much for the experienced reel cleaner.

What do you use the cleaning solution for exactly? Cleaning parts before oiling them?

And how do you get the old grease out of the bearings?

EDIT: Thanks again for the input guys.

you can use mineral spirits for the bearings.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 07:05 PM

I use acetone on the bearings. Let em soak good and let em air dry for at least 30mins as well. You can also use lighter fluid(naptha) or mineral spirits as well. Simple green 50/50 with water for cleaning the grease and other stuff out of the reel. Lots of q-tips and papertowels. The precision screwdrivers like mentioned. And it always helps to have a schematic. I'd be glad to help guide all that I can. The more you do it the more second nature everything becomes.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/08/15 07:06 PM

Oh also I've found that a small hobby paint brush works really well for applying grease.
Posted By: conniek

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/09/15 12:05 PM

We might be able to help you. We have produced a video for anglers just like you to help you learn how to clean your own reels. Lots of anglers are happy now because they can service their reels on their time and not waiting for a shop. Good luck.
Posted By: Prat85

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/17/15 03:57 AM

Reel oil, clean rags.
Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/18/15 04:22 PM

I use an old egg carton to put the parts in as I remove them not to get mixed up. Then put back together in reverse order!
Posted By: basspro99

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/18/15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: conniek
We might be able to help you. We have produced a video for anglers just like you to help you learn how to clean your own reels. Lots of anglers are happy now because they can service their reels on their time and not waiting for a shop. Good luck.

I started by watching the video connie is talking about. And i still am using the tool kit i bought from them. Good stuff.
Posted By: conniek

Re: What do I need to clean my reels? - 06/23/15 02:31 AM

thanks bass pro. We have helped lots of anglers thru the years with our video and happy to save them some bucks too. Great video. We have not had any complaints. Thanks to all you anglers. We do appreciate you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum