Texas Fishing Forum

2-piece casting rods?

Posted By: klockness

2-piece casting rods? - 02/09/15 03:27 PM

I'm looking at getting a 2-piece Carbon Lite casting rod from Bass Pro JCL70MHTF-2. I've read in some forums that 2 piece isn't as sensitive and others say modern 2 piece rods are fine. Anyone have any experience with any Bass Pro 2 piece rods? How's the sensitivity and does the rod spin or loosen?

I wanted it mainly for bass but be able to throw it in the trunk of my car and take it to the coast when I visit friends and family. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a cheaper two piece for the cost and another dedicated 1 piece bass rod.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: 2-piece casting rods? - 02/09/15 04:23 PM

A 2-piece rod is fine unless you own a dozen rods and fish tournaments for a living. A 2-piece rod is slightly more likely to break but then just take it back to BPS and get another one. Rod quality really falls off when buying a cheaper 2 piece rod. Buy a good 2-piece rod and don't worry about it.

I like 2-piece rods for vacations. I put them in a homemade PVC pipe rod holder in the back of the wife's minivan with 2 kids and a dog. They travel great.
Posted By: texdanm

Re: 2-piece casting rods? - 03/01/15 12:30 AM

I actually prefer 2 piece rods. They are just easier to carry and store. You know, I've never had on break at that joint. I lean towards ugly sticks for catfish but also use a lot of lighter rods for bass fishing. Now all that said when I fished tournaments I used one piece rods. For pleasure fishing though I usually go 2 piece. In a tournament the little things can be the difference between making money and not making money. One piece are slightly more sensitive.
Posted By: Z119

Re: 2-piece casting rods? - 03/01/15 02:06 AM

Not a fan of two piece rods.....have acquired a couple only because they were on a good clearance sale. However, I epoxied them together and can't tell the difference
Posted By: mikey6345

Re: 2-piece casting rods? - 03/01/15 03:32 PM

I have used 2-piece rods for years due to mostly fishing the coast for trout and reds and the need to travel with them. They seem to be getting harder to find. I don't have experience with the one you mention but recently had one made for me by Doug at TexasToadSticker. It is an MHX blank and I really like it.

Let us know how you like the BPS one if you get it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum