Texas Fishing Forum

Baitcast reels

Posted By: DrNitro

Baitcast reels - 12/06/13 04:07 AM

Hi. I'm new to this forum and I have a question about baitcast reels (which I've never used). If I cast with my right hand would I normally retrieve with my right hand or my left hand?
Posted By: Ram4bass

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/06/13 05:32 AM

Right
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/06/13 09:48 PM

If you are getting into Bass fishing and will eventually learn to pitch and flip plastics...I would learn with a left handed reel. This will enable you to cast, pitch and flip with your right hand and never have to change hands to reel in the bait.

Just my toughts
Posted By: Samarai

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/07/13 01:07 AM

I cast. With right and retrieve with left so that I can get hookset with right hand
Posted By: Cajun Bass Buster

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/07/13 01:34 AM

I think it is really a matter of what you are comfortable with. I cast right and retrieve right. I like switching hands. The way I hold the rod and reel on the cast is different from the way I hold it on the retrieve anyway, so it wouldn't benefit me to keep the rod in my right hand. I fish with guys who buy lefty reels so they dont have to switch hands. i know other guys who taught themselves to cast with their left hand. If I were you, I would borrow a right and left hand reel and try them out. See what is comfortable for you. Some things to keep in mind, there are more reels offered in right hand than left, and it does not save you time when beginning your retrieve. When I cast with my right, the rod is in position in my left hand before the lure even touches the water. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Sunup

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/07/13 01:37 AM

If you right hand reel baitcast,
which hand do you reel spincast?
Posted By: Jeremy S.

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/08/13 02:48 AM

Right hand with everything for me. My left hand is not coordinated for anything.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/08/13 06:26 PM

Cast right, reel left, Spinning & Bait caster, IMO.
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/08/13 11:56 PM

I found it so much easier to just flip with my left hand. I'm right handed and have never had a problem this way. I bought two lefty zillions and after a month of practice I felt I was missing much more bites. But since you've never used a bait caster it may be good for you to start on a lefty. Now a spinning reel I still use my left hand to reel with. Also I'd like to add that most likley we all cast with both hand and if not you're wearing yourself out and losing casting distance. Find what's comfortable for you and stick with it. You can't say one way is better than the other because we are all differnt.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/09/13 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
I found it so much easier to just flip with my left hand. I'm right handed and have never had a problem this way. I bought two lefty zillions and after a month of practice I felt I was missing much more bites. But since you've never used a bait caster it may be good for you to start on a lefty. Now a spinning reel I still use my left hand to reel with. Also I'd like to add that most likley we all cast with both hand and if not you're wearing yourself out and losing casting distance. Find what's comfortable for you and stick with it. You can't say one way is better than the other because we are all differnt.

I pitch and flip with my left mostly and I'm right handed. Regular casting is with my right then I switch hands most of the time with the bait in mid flight. I cast with two hands mostly so it makes the switch easier.
I never have really got the hang of spinning gear so I don't use it for bass fishing.
Posted By: Dougy

Re: Baitcast reels - 12/18/13 10:22 PM

I cast and retrieve w/ my right. like what was said earlier, its what your comfortable with. I use baitcasters and every once in a while i use a spinning reel.HTH
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum