Texas Fishing Forum

Time for a baitcaster, need advice

Posted By: Casual

Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 06:45 AM

I've finally saved enough for a baitcaster. I've heard the new series of curados aren't what they used to be, should I stay away and go for a revo sx? or should I save a little bit of money on my first one and go with a revo s or citica? or maybe a pro qualifier?
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 10:17 AM

My experience has been that Shimano reels are dependable and last a very long time. Just don't buy a cheap piece of junk that may not work very well and will create a bigger learning curve for you.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 11:15 AM

Citica.
Posted By: SuperG

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 11:52 AM

Find a citica e.
Posted By: Nitroman77

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 12:28 PM

Check out the daiwa Lexa or Aird..
The lexa is a great reel for the money and can be found for around 100$
Posted By: Samarai

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 12:54 PM

find yourself a curado 50e. best priced reel out there. probably 125-140 range.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 07:15 PM

the only thing with the citica and curado e's is that you can only find them used, and not to be a snob but i would prefer a brand new reel
Posted By: throwback

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/06/13 09:10 PM

If you are just starting out with a baitcaster don't spend a lot of money up front until you feel comfortable using one. You can get several different reels under a hundred $ that would be good; the H2O Mettle, Basspro Extreme or the Pro Qualifier from Bass Pro especially the last two if you need a left hand retrieve.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 01:06 PM

fair enough, if u want new then pick up the chronarch 50, same specs as a curado but you get the new reel smell. Only baitcaster you will need to own.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 05:46 PM

the chronarch is definitely more than I'm willing to spend. The pro qualifier went on sale today, should I get it?

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 05:54 PM

Also any opinions on the quantum KVD?

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 06:37 PM

My take on gear. I would rather spend a little up front and get some quality gear that may last a long long time. I have a couple of the curados and stradics and they are well worth the money. Besides that, the the chronarchs aren't outrageously priced.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 06:38 PM

My take on gear. I would rather spend a little up front and get some quality gear that may last a long long time. I have a couple of the curados and stradics and they are well worth the money. Besides that, the the chronarchs aren't outrageously priced. With all the money I spend on a fishing trip, an extra hundred is a drop in the bucket.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 07:24 PM

Well as a college student that had to work to get to this point, an extra hundred is half a month's worth of groceries

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 07:38 PM

Got that. i remember my college experience. Living off of student loans and work study hours, while putting in an extra 24 hours at a chinese restaurant on the weekends. 6 guys sharing a 2 bedroom apartment, and living off of dollar menus and instant noodles. Memories. A new revo sx is gonna run u 140-150, dont see the savings there.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 07:48 PM

I found one on ebay for around 135. However I just got a new lew's speed spool for 85 on ebay. I know it wasn't on my original list but from everything I read it should be a good reel and I'm looking forward to it
Posted By: throwback

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 08:03 PM

That's the smart thing to do in my opinion. To purchase equipment that you may not be familiar with how to use it's always served me best to go with the best quality low priced item. If for some reason you can't make it work for you it's not a big loss and baitcasters can be extremely frustrating when first starting out. Once you get good with it and decide to upgrade you will really be surprised.
Posted By: SDhookem

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/07/13 11:59 PM

There is nothing wrong with the h20 mettle or pro qualifier. Both are under $100 and great reels. There is a reason people buy several of em when they go on sale.
Posted By: fish fear me

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/08/13 01:47 AM

I vote for the Revo SX.
Posted By: Timmy Freespool

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/17/13 06:38 AM

Sounds like you made a great choice! My buddy uses the Lews and I use it from time to time. That thing will not backlash if you have the right settings on it. Follow the instructions on one of the 50 you tube videos and you should be in good shape. One warning is, don't try to loosen the cast control knob to so you could get a farther cast right away. Pulling bird's nest is no fun. You will be able to cast farther once you get comfortable.
Posted By: Bass'n Sk8'r

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/17/13 07:18 PM

I just got a mettle H2o from Academy and love it. I have owned Shimanos and Garcia's. But will be getting a few more mettle when tjey go on sale.
Posted By: AlabamaJack

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/17/13 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Casual
Well as a college student that had to work to get to this point, an extra hundred is half a month's worth of groceries

good on ya...when I was in college, I had to fish with a limb I cut off the bank and some kite string with a safety pin for a hook...
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/18/13 12:55 AM

Go for it!
Posted By: James Roberts

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/20/13 08:17 PM

I agree with several of the above mentioned suggestions about the Academy H2O Mettle reels. I use them as my guide reels and they are great expecially when you can find them on sale for $29.99. Good Luck!
JR
Posted By: barneypoo69

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/21/13 04:31 PM

Don't want to hijack a thread but I'm getting ready for a baitcaster. I'm only a bank fisher but would like to fish for some blues/flatheads....love catfish. My newest set-up is a spinning reel (7' ugly stick & abu garcia SX40). I have 20# mono line & 40# mono leaders on this. The SX40 has a max drag of 14#.
Any ideas for a baitcaster reel that I can buy locally...Walmart, Acadamy, & Cabelas are all close. I'm retired & fixed income and only go fishing with wife (during the week if she is off work) or weekends with wife & son. Want to try Inks Lake...all close lakes are almost dry & rivers are dust.
Also, about the specs on max drag........you never know how big a catfish just might be.......so is this spec to worry about ?
Thanks....stopped lurking & joined-up.

Jerry

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/21/13 07:12 PM

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, i think the poundage if your line is way too high for your reel. I think the reel you have is the cardinal sx, and if so the most I would throw on it would be 10#

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/23/13 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Casual
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, i think the poundage if your line is way too high for your reel. I think the reel you have is the cardinal sx, and if so the most I would throw on it would be 10#

According to the lbs/yds on the reel...min-10lb/210yds---max 14lb/150yds. I know 20# mono is over max but I'm not having issues with casting & spool holds more than enough line & drag still works good.
I went to Walmart yesterday...bought abu Garcia Black Max Combo. Should be good for my 1st baitcaster.
Do have some questions about the Black Max...what are all these adjustments for: star wheel by crank, brake knob on reel by the star wheel, & on the other side of the reel is an adjustment that has a min & max setting. I'll hunt on u-tube but would love the guru's here for instructions.

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/28/13 04:52 PM

I need alot of practice with this baitcaster...should be good to try my luck soon at Lake Bastrop...anyone fished Lake Bastrop ? I Me & family can only do bank fishing & LCRA has 2 parks there.
Posted By: Taylored

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/31/13 03:43 AM

I would look at the Lews speed spool for 99.99. These reels are unmatched in this price range.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Time for a baitcaster, need advice - 05/31/13 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Taylored
I would look at the Lews speed spool for 99.99. These reels are unmatched in this price range.
This for sure I have many Lews and would pick them over my remaining Shimanos anyday.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum