Texas Fishing Forum

Carrot Stick Question

Posted By: Coach2

Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 01:41 AM

Has anyone ever fish a 6'9" or 7'2" Carrot Stick medium power Parabolicaction rod? I was thinking of getting one but really not sure what the Parabolic thing is all about. I'm trying to outfit the best cranking rod possible. Looking for input or opinions.
Posted By: SEABAG

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 02:27 AM

they are having problem's their pro BOYD DUCKETT left due to them not backing their rods under warranty
Posted By: fishntx

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 02:52 AM

Parabolic is describing the whole bend of the rod from tip to butt basically. Saltwater popping rods are parabolic in action. It appears from comments on message boards that the carrots have issues.
Posted By: BaSSerMaTT

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 03:05 AM

I believe "parabolic" rods bend evenly throughout the entire blank. To me this would mean that there is not much backbone, but obviously enough to keep a fish buttoned up. Most other crankbait specific rods have a "moderate" action, which pretty much means that the rod gets into the "backbone" about halfway down the blank.
Posted By: Raymond Adams

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 03:21 AM

Carrot Stix = low quality stay away!

Popping rods are never parabolic and generally have fast actions but some will be med/fast. Never slow!
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 03:55 PM

Coach2,

I bought the two rods you mentioned above and a 7.6" heavy also. The jury is still out, I bought three on sale at Cabelas a few weeks back, been working to much and haven't had time to get out and try them. I was fully aware of the breaking problem when I bought them, but as I've said before, I'll buy a freight train if its on sale....LOL. I've kept all my receipts and if they break will send them back and hope they replace them. Now if I step on one or hang it on my garage door or rod box, thats my problem. Next time I go to Falcon will see how they hold up and I have all three of them spooled with Braid.

One of the guys at Cabelas said the orig Carrot Stix broke more frequently than the Golds and the other one.

One of my buddies has one he's had since they came out and he loves it and says he has abused it about as bad as you can, he lives 45 min from fork and caught some big fish on it, his son has broke two of the 7 ftrs on hook set. Sent them back and they replaced them.

I liked the way they feel and balanced with a reel, they feel way better for some reason to me than my powells and kistlers.

Not that it matters, they sure look cool with Quantum E760pts, the organge trim on the reels match the rods.........my wife says for the first time I actually matched colors, she said now if I could only get my clothes to match.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 08:10 PM

too funny!
Posted By: fishntx

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 09:33 PM

Popping rods are absolutely parabolic in action, not fast at all.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fishntx
Popping rods are absolutely parabolic in action, not fast at all.

I guess we can agree to disagree or we have different definitions of what a popping rod is.

I can quote from many of the well known blank & rod Mfgr's catalogs that list popping blanks and none of them are parabolic or slow in action. Castaway Rods is down your way. Here is a link to one of there XP3 rods. "Popping"
http://www.castawayrods.com/home/index.p...mp;Itemid=10009
Look for yourself.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info. So know let's talk Lemon Stick, the new Skeet Reese rod! i've also heard good things of his 7' cranking rod. Any insight there.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 10:02 PM

Have no clue about the Skeet Reese rods.
I will tell you this though. Kistler blanks are not made by Kistler. Lamiglas makes them.

A lot of folks would be surprised to here that there are only a few rod blank manufactures and that they produce everyone elses product.
Posted By: Dwight

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 10:45 PM

Their warranty process changed as of July 1st this year...

http://www.carrotstix.com/carrot_stix_warranty.htm
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 10:51 PM

Looks like they went to the warranty type most rods use, ( send us money and we will replace the rod )

I have three and have broke one. That was my fault ( note to self, docks dont bite lures ) Other than that they have been great. Took two to Falcon and had no problems catching fish on them.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/21/09 11:58 PM

I like my carrot sticks but just wanted to put together the best cranking rod I could, who makes the best cranking rod? Got to get ready for some dd22 and trap action!

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/22/09 12:16 AM

Not sure if Seeker makes a rod but they do have a blank that is highly requested by pro anglers. It's a graphite glass composite
BS706S (bass/spinning)

If you prefer all graphite the CBS705 is the ticket.

Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/23/09 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Coach2
I like my carrot sticks but just wanted to put together the best cranking rod I could, who makes the best cranking rod? Got to get ready for some dd22 and trap action!

Dobyns 805 CB RM. without a doubt. Very light and strong for an 8ft rod and it has a fantastic balance.

Ask about that rod on here and see the responses you get.
Posted By: bassitup

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/23/09 03:23 PM

Nothin wrong with some carrot stix. The 7'2" parabolic is a great rod. Ive had one for two years no problems.
Posted By: fwfisher

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/23/09 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: Coach2

Dobyns 805 CB RM. without a doubt. Very light and strong for an 8ft rod and it has a fantastic balance.

Ask about that rod on here and see the responses you get.

+1 on the big Dobyns cranker
Posted By: Bobby Feazel

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/24/09 01:04 PM

Coach2

There are a number of us Texas rod builders who are completely sold on the XP3 8' popping blanks for crankbaits. There are 3 models, P963, P964 & P965 that will handle all weight ranges of cranks. We purchase our blanks from Swampland Tackle.

They are all multi modulas graphite and will have a total finished rod weight around 3.25 ounces (depending on the builder). Besides being light, they are much more sensitive than glass and the action is exactly what we crankers desire while still having a powerful backend.

In my 40 something years of throwing crankbaits, I am convienced that these blanks are the best that can be had today.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/24/09 03:02 PM

I'm using the Dobyns 705 Glass crankbait rod and I love it. It's amazingly light for a fiberglass rod and I can cast it a mile. It's a 7' rod, but the word on the street is they are coming out with a 7'6" glass rod this coming year.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/26/09 04:48 AM

I've already responded to this thread..........I'm impressed I remembered.
Posted By: Chillin Da Most

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/26/09 11:52 AM

I had the meduim parabolic and used it for over a year before it broke on a hookset when I hit the motor with it. It would be a great rod for anything with a treble hook. However, I found that I could not get a good enough hookset when wacky worming with it due to it's flexability. I replaced it with a medium heavy carrot stick and love it. I have two of the medium heavy's and no problems with them so far. Very light and great feel so I primiraly use them for wacky worming with a 50MG.
Posted By: cwright

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/28/09 02:55 AM

I set the hook on a Frog fish 3lber and my 7'2" Extra heavy CS broke in three pieces.

I have 5 6'9" med heavy that are great. ????? Don't know man!

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 11/30/09 11:12 PM

Well if I can get my wife to stop buying useless stuff, I'll put this all to rest. Had a big house built for her and now she is trying to stock it full of [censored] QUICK! Thanks guys
Posted By: Fishinsoap

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/01/09 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Dwight
Their warranty process changed as of July 1st this year...

http://www.carrotstix.com/carrot_stix_warranty.htm

I will not buy another Carrot stix due to this change. I bought on because of this no questions asked warranty and now their saying I have to give them 39.00 to get the warranty I thought I paid 150.00 for in the first place. Carrot Stix can kiss my arse and I will never buy another or will I advise anyone else to do so. Their product is not worth 150.00 without the warranty, I don't even think it's worth 39.00 for that matter. No backbone at all it these rods. they can suck it!!!!!!

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/01/09 10:17 PM

WOW!

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/02/09 04:56 AM

Thanks to whoever posted the info on the new warrenty policy, good info, I had no clue. But It wouldnt be the first time i was clueless. I plan to register the three I just bought.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/02/09 04:57 AM

Thanks to whoever posted the info on the new warrenty policy, good info, I had no clue. But It wouldnt be the first time i was clueless. I plan to register the three I just bought.

Posted By: Nitram

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/09/09 03:08 PM

I would like to buy a "slightly" used / new E 21 Carrot stick that somebody hates, as in a 6'9" MH, at a garage sale price. Or... just take off your hands!

I love my so much, I sure would like to have another one for it to have a friend! Opps, I mean that I would be doing you a favor to get rid of you junk!

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/11/09 04:16 AM

^^^^^^^^^ ME TOO^^^^^^^^^

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/12/09 05:31 PM

Hey Coach2, Have you picked up anybody's trash yet? I haven't.
Posted By: BassAddict45

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/13/09 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Coach2,

I bought the two rods you mentioned above and a 7.6" heavy also. The jury is still out, I bought three on sale at Cabelas a few weeks back, been working to much and haven't had time to get out and try them. I was fully aware of the breaking problem when I bought them, but as I've said before, I'll buy a freight train if its on sale....LOL. I've kept all my receipts and if they break will send them back and hope they replace them. Now if I step on one or hang it on my garage door or rod box, thats my problem. Next time I go to Falcon will see how they hold up and I have all three of them spooled with Braid.

One of the guys at Cabelas said the orig Carrot Stix broke more frequently than the Golds and the other one.

One of my buddies has one he's had since they came out and he loves it and says he has abused it about as bad as you can, he lives 45 min from fork and caught some big fish on it, his son has broke two of the 7 ftrs on hook set. Sent them back and they replaced them.

I liked the way they feel and balanced with a reel, they feel way better for some reason to me than my powells and kistlers.

Not that it matters, they sure look cool with Quantum E760pts, the organge trim on the reels match the rods.........my wife says for the first time I actually matched colors, she said now if I could only get my clothes to match.

I've been fishing with Carrot Stix for over a year now. My jury is in...They are high quality and I have yet to break one. I'm in the market for more.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/13/09 10:38 AM

I'll sell you mine 149.00 if you like it so much. Like new only used 4 times.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/13/09 03:31 PM

Well Fishinsoap,

I put some thought in to your offer, but that is not much of I hate this USED rod price.

LFT in Emory and every where else sales them NEW for $149.00.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/14/09 06:55 AM

Just checking, if these guy's like them so much and their such a high quality rod 149.00 should be cheep. U still get the same warrenty as buying it new. Just send it in with 39.00 and get a new one.

Re: Carrot Stick Question - 12/15/09 04:36 AM

I want a yard sell price tag, not a BPS deal!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum