Texas Fishing Forum

Need Rod Advice for the Wife Please

Posted By: lowew79

Need Rod Advice for the Wife Please - 08/12/22 06:59 PM

She is not a fisher-woman really, just a casual. When she goes, she typically targets panfish and bass (she enjoys catfishing too but we have different poles for that). Recently I broke her little Zebco slingshot, and I'm looking to replace it. I think I'm staying with the Zebco spincast style reel (easy to use), I thinking the 33 platinum. I'd like it to be light duty enough to throw the light weight panfish lures, but able to handle a decent size Bass as well, if that is possible.

But what kind of rod should I get for this type of fishing? There are two combos available:
- one comes with a 5.5 foot rod, fiberglass, Moderate Action, Medium power, 6-12 pound line, 1/8-1/2 lure weight.
- option two comes with a 6 foot graphite rod, moderate fast action, Medium power, 6-14 pound line, 1/8-3/4 lure weight.
- Amazon link to the two combos

The graphite combo SEEMS to be the better option as it allows for a wider variety of line and lure sizes, but is some of that just marketing smoke?

Or I could buy the rod and reel separately and choose a medium light power or something if that is best. My understanding is that a slower action is better for small baits (seems counter intuitive), and a lighter power is best for detecting small species bites. Correct me please if that is incorrect. Please advise me what specs to look for, as I am WAY overthinking/over-analyzing this.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Need Rod Advice for the Wife Please - 08/12/22 09:24 PM

Agree , the 6 foot graphite rod option is more versatile and will be more fun to fish with.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Need Rod Advice for the Wife Please - 08/13/22 01:07 AM

Spare the Rod, Spoil the Wife. Oh, sorry. that just came out. No sexist intent was involved. IslandJim
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum