Texas Fishing Forum

Graphite Reel Frames..

Posted By: basenjib123

Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/02/21 03:55 PM

What is with this hysteria over graphite reel frames that I see? Flexing and bending, etc...? I mean we are dealing with fish that average what, .. 1-3 lbs and the occasional fish that exceed that weight? Are people just watching too many fishing shows and the tackle peddlers that are on them? I mean I read some of this stuff about "bad graphite" reels and I have to laugh. I mean I have both metal and graphite framed reels and I haven't see one bit of difference personally. Just curious what others think of this issue.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/02/21 04:22 PM

I have some older Penn GTI 330 reels that over the last 3 decades have retrieved several large fish from boat and beach, never really noticed a problem either. King Mackerel, Jacks, sharks, and Bull reds. I was skeptical at first but after dozens of 3' plus 35 - 50# fish I have not noticed. Still seems to be fine dragging large cats up from depth also.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/02/21 04:27 PM

Metal framed reels have tighter and more precise tolerances which in turn makes them smoother.
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/05/21 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Metal framed reels have tighter and more precise tolerances which in turn makes them smoother.

That is ... kind of generalization?
Give me any disadvantage of Ci4 material from Shimano, please.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/05/21 10:45 AM

I have rarely had a graphite reel last longer than a year before it started making funny noises and flexing during the hookset. They still "worked," but felt and sounded rough.

I bought a nice graphite frame Lews (Tournament SK I think) and used it as my frogging reel. Two months later I was pulling in a fish when a guy asked me if my rod was broken. He kept hearing a creaking/ cracking noise. Switched reels and the noise went away. I sent the reel off for cleaning and it still sounded bad.

For comparison, I've had the same metal frame Lews LFS for years and it's still quiet.

I've had the same experience with Shimano and other brands as well.

For me, it's about value. From my limited experience metal frames last longer.

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/05/21 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MinMirny

Metal frame is less prone to flexing under a load.

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/06/21 01:45 PM

Metal frame is less prone to flexing under a load.

Not always true. May be, it's true for cheap "walmart" class garbage, but not true for reels normal quality.
Example. Had very-metal Okuma Cedros CJ55 reel body damage: eccentric was cracked out of it's screw nest!
And never heard of anything like that about good graphite bodies.
[Linked Image]

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/06/21 02:12 PM

Didn't know Okuma was considered a quality reels. From the pics it looks to be made of pot metal

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/08/21 02:37 AM

It is $140.0 reel, it's on a market for almost 10 years with overage reviews 4.5 stars.
The simple point is: the statement "Metal frame is less prone to flexing under a load" is NOT always true. Period.
Of course, you can ignore facts. Totally up to you, man! ))

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/08/21 02:41 AM

I'm going to argue or debate with you, seems you've already made up your mind.

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/08/21 02:52 PM

You see... I gave you some real fact in support of my point.
You don't have any fact in support of yours.
Difference wink
I would consider you theory to be rather true for the case of machined reels of some type (often made of Al 6061).
Like Shimano/Calcutta, Daiwa/Luna/CVZ, Avet, Accurate etc. Even some frames of low profile reels are sometimes well made. Like Abu Revo (some very special alloy).
But for spinning reels I would not support your statement. With exception of couple real expensive ones from Accurate, Van Staal, Daiwa Saltiga with "Monocoque" body or Shimano Stella.
BTW: "Hagane body" from Shimano(Stella) is specifically designed to eliminate body flexing smile
But the price for all those machined spinning reels is rather intense, from $500UP++ smile
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Graphite Reel Frames.. - 04/21/21 10:55 PM

You see... I gave you some real fact in support of my point.
You don't have any fact in support of yours.
Difference wink
I would consider you theory to be rather true for the case of machined reels of some type (often made of Al 6061).
Like Shimano/Calcutta, Daiwa/Luna/CVZ, Avet, Accurate etc. Even some frames of low profile reels are sometimes well made. Like Abu Revo (some very special alloy).
But for spinning reels I would not support your statement. With exception of couple real expensive ones from Accurate, Van Staal, Daiwa Saltiga with "Monocoque" body or Shimano Stella.
BTW: "Hagane body" from Shimano(Stella) is specifically designed to eliminate body flexing smile
But the price for all those machined spinning reels is rather intense, from $500UP++ smile

I agree with tmd11111. Metal reals do not flex. As you have proven. Your Okuma didn’t flex. That cheap POS BROKE! Lol.

Ci4 does flex. Not as much as other composite reels, but it does. Shimano does a great job at reinforcing their Ci4 reels with their “X-Ship” design. The X-Ship design reinforces the stress points with precision bearing placements. As you move up their product line, you see more reels with metal/partial metal bodies. The mag reels are the best of both worlds. Extremely stiff metal that is also very lightweight.

On a similar instance, I have ripped the handle bearing loose from the body on a couple Lews graphite reels and one Ci4 reel. They flex and break.

No technical facts to support my losses...just three broken cheap reels.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum