Texas Fishing Forum

Reel Bearings

Posted By: grout-scout

Reel Bearings - 02/05/21 01:44 AM

I’m sure this a stupid question, but there’s way too many to pick from.

I have 3 old Abu Garcia BM3600’s (3 x 10 x 4) that I want to replace the bearings in. They say they have 3 bearings total, with 2 being spool bearings. Do I just need to replace the spool bearings and not the third, where ever it is?

And I’m not particularly fond of the noise that the ceramics (like bocas) make, I don’t need expensive bearings either, but what’s a “good enough” brand for reels that I rarely use? The factory ones look like they are $15ea, which seems crazy to me.
Posted By: jdr418

Re: Reel Bearings - 02/05/21 05:58 PM

These are probably pretty good bearings. I have used some of their products before.

https://www.vxb.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Bm+3600&Submit=
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Reel Bearings - 02/05/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdr418
These are probably pretty good bearings. I have used some of their products before.

https://www.vxb.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Bm+3600&Submit=

Nice, the price is perfect for these old reels that barely see daylight. Thank you for the direct link! Gonna order several of them now. cheers
Posted By: Old Tracker

Re: Reel Bearings - 02/07/21 03:40 PM

I recently purchased 3x10x4 reel bearings from acerracing.com; they were $12.98 for ten bearings with free shipping. They came from California, had them in a week. They have a synthetic oil that seems pretty good.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Reel Bearings - 02/07/21 07:39 PM

You can add bearings too. Take out the bushings and measure them. Two in each handle knob and one on the levelwind gear. Also might have another on the tension knob.
Posted By: d75bender

Re: Reel Bearings - 02/25/21 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
You can add bearings too. Take out the bushings and measure them. Two in each handle knob and one on the levelwind gear. Also might have another on the tension knob.

Oh man great idea. Never thought to add bearings.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum