Texas Fishing Forum

2020 Metanium

Posted By: Titleist77

2020 Metanium - 12/09/20 10:58 PM

I bought 2 of the new 2020 metanium reels and....

When I opened and pulled them from their box, I gave handle a spin. It will barely make 2 revolutions (same with both reels). If I do this to my daiwa elite reels, the handle will make 5-6 revolutions. Anyone else have a new metanium and your impression? These new ones just dont seem smooth. I did flush spool and side plate bearing on both with no improvement.

I had 3 of the 2016 metaniums and they were the best reels I ever owned.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: 2020 Metanium - 12/10/20 01:49 AM

I have 4 of the 90's era left handed scorpion metanium mg's and of all of my reels including other scorpions, curadoes, JM platiums they are without the doubt the very best.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 2020 Metanium - 12/10/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Titleist77

When I opened and pulled them from their box, I gave handle a spin. It will barely make 2 revolutions (same with both reels). If I do this to my daiwa elite reels, the handle will make 5-6 revolutions. Anyone else have a new metanium and your impression? These new ones just dont seem smooth. I did flush spool and side plate bearing on both with no improvement.

That is absolutely not a way to judge the quality of a reel. Neither is the “spool spin test”. Haha

Spool up some line and go fish it.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: 2020 Metanium - 12/10/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

That is absolutely not a way to judge the quality of a reel. Neither is the “spool spin test”. Haha

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: 2020 Metanium - 12/11/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

[Linked Image]

cheers

Re: 2020 Metanium - 12/11/20 04:44 PM

I did fish both yesterday and not impressed. The tatula elite and 2016 metanium cast futher, smoother feeling, and quiter than the 2020 metanium imo.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: 2020 Metanium - 12/18/20 03:08 PM

All of the new reels have a tight feeling right out of the box...I remember my E7's feeling the same way when new. The 100B or 2020 metanium feel great after you use them a little while but yeah they aren't as good as the 2016 MGL metanium.

Re: 2020 Metanium - 03/15/21 05:45 PM

After some use, the metanium is feeling much better.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 2020 Metanium - 03/20/21 01:10 AM

After some use, the metanium is feeling much better.

It probably has way too much grease and oil in it from the factory. I think they assume it will NEVER get lubed again in its ownership. Lol.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum