Texas Fishing Forum

G Loomis

Posted By: Stompy

G Loomis - 06/26/20 05:11 PM

Warranty suxs. My wife's IMX rod broke on hookset of a 2# fish and they won't cover the warranty. The rod looked almost brand new because I take really good care of my equipment and I keep receipts. Will never buy another rod from them. They wanted to send a replacement for $125, but why would I spend $125 on top of the money I've already spent for a rod they won't warranty.

What makes me mad is I called them before I shipped it and they said as long as I have the receipt and the rods in decent shape they would replace free of charge.

Before folks jump on me, the rod was in great shape when I sent it in.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 05:26 PM

That does suck. But, will they refund the $125 after they get the rod and inspect it? The issue is when you go to a lot of big box stores to buy rods, kids and some adults I've seen mis-handling rods shaking them around grabbing them in the middle bending them or kids smacking them on endcaps. Then you have the employees if you get a new person that doesn't know or care they will just toss the rods around as well. Not saying you did this last one but I've seen it done before. Owners of the rod take it and toss it in the back of the truck or pile it up with a lot of other gear and it bounces around the whole trip. Or bending the rod to fit it into a vehicle. I know my first st. Croix I broke I would just toss it in the back of the truck. Luckily I bought it from bass pro and got the insurance so I got a new one for like $25. the department manager at the time was the one that informed me about not doing that. I had used the rod but on hook set it snapped in half. He could tell just looking at the type of break it wasn't a manufacturing issue. If it broke in more of a jagged long type of crack it would have been considered a manufacturing issue. Now for any rod I buy I buy used from someone that has one or buy direct from the company shipped to my door.

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 05:42 PM

They have the rod, they told me it was abused and in rough shape...which is an outright LIE. Or they have my rod mixed up with someone else's. The rod was in almost new condition, as stated, it was my wife's senko rod.

Either way, they're not going to replace it.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 06:06 PM

Rods break, it happens. Lots of other rod companies charge for replacements as well.

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Rods break, it happens. Lots of other rod companies charge for replacements as well.

I understand, but it has a free replacement warranty. One of the reasons they cost over $300. Are you not aware of their warranty?

All I'm saying is buyer beware. If you're buying a G Loomis because it has a good warranty you may want to rethink that.

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy

I understand, but it has a free replacement warranty. One of the reasons they cost over $300. Are you not aware of their warranty?

All I'm saying is buyer beware. If you're buying a G Loomis because it has a good warranty you may want to rethink that.

Its a free replacement warranty if they determine its a manufacturer defect. If not they have a replacement warranty and cost is determined by model. No secret, just like I said earlier other manufacturers do the same.

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 08:58 PM

This was manufacturer defect, but they won't honor the warranty.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: G Loomis - 06/26/20 11:30 PM

Did you take any pictures of the rod and break? If you post them might be able to help point out what type of break it was. If not did the break look like one of these type of breaks?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: G Loomis - 06/27/20 12:08 AM

Didn't take any pictures due to the fact that I called them and they said they would replace if the rod was in decent shape. However, it did look very similar to the first picture in about the same spot, it may have been just below the second eye.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: G Loomis - 06/27/20 12:21 AM

This was manufacturer defect, but they won't honor the warranty.

As stated above, it must have been fractured...somewhere, somehow, someway AND not necessarily by you. GLoomis is considered a premier brand rod and I’m positive they didn’t get to that status by screwing folks out of warranty repairs. I bet they feel firmly about their decision, and it sucks to be on your end. Instead of getting mad, I’d ask to speak to the next person up the ladder. Keep going, keep calm, and be cool. It might not get ya anywhere, if it could.

Re: G Loomis - 06/27/20 12:36 AM

I have many types and many brands of rods, I've broke 3 rods on hookset in the past 15 years, all 3 were GLoomis. The first two they replaced, this one they're not. I guess it's just the way it going to be on this one, have talked to them twice with no progress, guess I'm just out a rod. Oh well, won't ever own another.

Who knows, maybe the Covid has them hurting some and they've tightened up their policy, I don't know.
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: G Loomis - 06/27/20 10:56 PM

Its a free replacement warranty if they determine its a manufacturer defect. If not they have a replacement warranty and cost is determined by model. No secret, just like I said earlier other manufacturers do the same.

No. Other manufacturers do it some other way(s).
My 2(two) warranty cases:
1) Okuma T-40X 10'9" $125 drift float rod. Got broken in three parts when I just hooked a rock on a bottom. Called Okuma. They instructed me to go to some Okuma dealer close to me, I was need to pay $10.00 "fee", they called me in a week to come pick up new replacement rod. No post services involved.
2) Fenwick HMX 12' 2 pieces. $120, bought on Amazon. On a one trip one guide lost insert and it's tip got broken on a cast(!) 6" off the top. Came home angry, called seller (Fenwick Amazon store, it was hard to find piece in store, only Fenwick themselves had them in stock ) Sure pictures where requested (and sent immediately). "No need to send it, we are sending you replacement rod". Was puzzled, but to my surprise, in a couple days brand new rod came to my door! The reason I picked Amazon store was exactly the warranty case, and it happened to me! Soon after, bought 3 more same rods from them, gave 2 of them out as gifts smile
Both rods had 1 year warranty (expired now)
Posted By: pil,b

Re: G Loomis - 06/30/20 01:20 AM

Go with Power Tackle,toughest rod on the market.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: G Loomis - 07/01/20 02:53 AM

Ive had two warrantied it was painless.
Posted By: ibfish_n

Re: G Loomis - 07/24/20 04:43 PM

I had the same issues last year- 854 glx- great rods, however my rod broke in the same area as the pictures. i had a monster cat fish on 20+ and it broke while fighting the fish.I took a picture while the tip was broke. Unfortunately, no luck with warranty. that being said, the remaining Gloomis (12) sold and switched to Kistlers. I wont buy any more from GLOOMIS....

Re: G Loomis - 07/24/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ibfish_n
I had the same issues last year- 854 glx- great rods, however my rod broke in the same area as the pictures. i had a monster cat fish on 20+ and it broke while fighting the fish.I took a picture while the tip was broke. Unfortunately, no luck with warranty. that being said, the remaining Gloomis (12) sold and switched to Kistlers. I wont buy any more from GLOOMIS....

Kistlers warranty is only 1-5 years depending on model. Also a replacement fee if they determine its not a manufacturer defect. How's that better then Loomis
Posted By: ibfish_n

Re: G Loomis - 07/24/20 09:43 PM

This issues i had was based on a free replacement, If its a defect which this was , I should get what I pay for..... Its Unfortunate, this happened, learned the hard way. Warranty have changed for all manufactures and when a company states a free replacement read the small print. because its not free..
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: G Loomis - 07/25/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by ibfish_n

Kistlers warranty is only 1-5 years depending on model. Also a replacement fee if they determine its not a manufacturer defect. How's that better then Loomis

It isn't any better just (maybe) different? hmmm

I have heard plenty of horror stories about rod warranties from every company and most of the time it is after I have bought 1 or more of them. hammer

I haven't broken a rod in decades so the warranty normally isn't something I am worried about though. popcorn2
Posted By: CoC Angler

Re: G Loomis - 08/07/20 02:25 PM

Rods break! its part of fishing. I've never seen anywhere in writing where Loomis rods have an "unconditional warranty." It sucks that the rod broke, but if it wasn't a defect (you say it was, but we can't see pics to know one way or the other) they won't replace for free. Diawa has verbiage somewhat similar to loomis when it comes to warranty on rods. So does ugly stick for that matter. I say go to another brand if you'll sleep better. If you're expecting a high end rod company to warranty a rod without proof of it being defective, you're in a dream world w/o a happy ending.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: G Loomis - 08/25/20 07:30 PM

Of all the rods I've broken fighting fish (I've lost a couple to garage doors, car doors, boat decks) in the 40+ years I've been fishing, the score is one Loomis E6X, two Shimano Exprides, one older Falcon LowRider, and three Kistler Helium LTAs. The E6X I fixed and gave to my old girlfriend. The Kistler's I all bought used so no warranty. The Exprides were covered by Tackle Warehouse. The Falcon was years out of warranty.

Here's the deal, with the light weight and sensitive blanks we love, we have to deal with an increased level of fragility. Just comes with the territory. Nobody breaks their Ugly Sticks, but then again, an Ugly Stick is what it is.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum