Texas Fishing Forum

Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass

Posted By: FishAdmirer

Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/24/20 03:23 AM

I'd like recommendations for a light spinning reel and rod for crappie and white bass. I use baitcast reels for bass but don't know anything about spinning reels and rods. My budget is around $100 for the reel. What size reel and rod am I looking for?
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/24/20 09:36 AM

Since your'e going to be after sandbass I would go for a medium action rod. Those things can wreck some tackle. For the reel I would go for whatever balances with the rod and spool it up with 6 to 8 lb test. You can pretty much take your pick of reels for $50 to $100 and be good. I've had good luck with my Pfluegar and Johnny Morris reels.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/24/20 03:15 PM

I really like my Daiwa Revros. Very smooth and would feel comfortable with this reel on Smallmouth too.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/26/20 01:12 PM

Fisherdad58, I see what you mean about the white bass. We caught some big ones the other night and they are feisty for their size. We catch them all the time, but I noticed how hard they fight after your post.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/26/20 01:44 PM

I really like the Shimano Spirex and Syncopate reels in the 2500 size. They have the quick fire one hand casting feature that makes it so easy to cast. I use them for crappie and white bass. As far as rods, I like a 7’ graphite rod for casting “I don’t spend much on this type rod”. I’ve gone to long rods for most of my crappie fishing, 9’ to 10’. I use the same reels for both. 8lb to 10lb trilene XL line. Works for me.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/28/20 07:06 PM

The Best in Class for the $100 reel category is shared by the Daiwa Fuego and the Shimano Nasci. I have several of each; if you need an anti- reverse switch go with Fuego, otherwise the Nasci is equally good. Pair it with a Shimano SLX rod and you'll have a great $200 combo.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Recommend a Light Spinning Reel and Rod for Crappie and White Bass - 06/30/20 12:00 AM

Just got an AllStar Dockshooter medium light spinning rod at Academy on sale for $30
Paired it with a Pflueger Trion 200 ($35)

Perfect for crappie. With properly set drag, should be fine for white bass.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum