Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie reel

Posted By: Barbers Tree

Crappie reel - 06/15/20 04:34 PM

I'm looking for a new crappie reel that's about the size of a fly fishing reel. I don't want a bait caster just something that will hold line and is light weight. A reel that if I had to reel up the crappie, I wouldn't have to crank it a 100 times to get the crappie in. I'm tired of the spinning reel getting the line all twisted up. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Crappie reel - 06/15/20 05:20 PM

These days I am using mostly Pfleuger President spincast reels, the ones with the trigger type release. They seem to be better than the Diawa version. I tried the regular type spinning reels, but just prefer the simplicity of the closed face trigger type. But we just fish ‘straight line’ with 8’ rods. If I was casting a bait, I’d go back to spinning reels. But, that’s just me.

Re: Crappie reel - 06/16/20 01:31 PM

Thanks 603
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Crappie reel - 06/17/20 02:07 AM

Why not just buy a fly fishing reel? Sounds like it would serve your purpose. All the fly reel type crappie reels I’ve seen on the shelves in stores have been tiny. Look into a MaxCatch Eco fly reel, they are very inexpensive, decent quality, and come in several different sizes. It also don’t click when you reel, only when the drag is being used.

Re: Crappie reel - 06/17/20 02:13 PM

Thanks JR
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum