Texas Fishing Forum

Will I Notice A Difference....

Posted By: racing75

Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/11/20 01:01 AM

All of my reels are 6.4:1 or 6.3:1. They are Lews and H2O’s from Academy. They are on 7’0” rods except one is on a 7’3” rod. I’m looking at a Lews 7.5:1. Either gonna be on a 7’ or longer rod. I use my other rod and reels for everything. Will I notice a difference in the 7.5:1?
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/11/20 01:35 AM

Not sure which Lews reel you are looking at, but assuming a BB1, the Lew's web page shows 3" per turn difference.

Make a 50' cast (600").

At 28 IPT = 21.4 turns of the handle.
At 31 IPT = 19.3 turns of the handle.

You decide. I'd say no.

I've got a couple 7.xxx to 1 reels and I can't tell the difference with the 6.xxx.

I like to think I can tell the difference between 8 and 6. I've got a bunch of 8 reels, but not really sure I can tell the difference there either.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/11/20 01:53 AM

The time you might see a difference is if you fish with a large crank bait, especially for a long time. The faster speed gives you less power and a large CB can wear you out a lot faster than a slower ratio reel.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/11/20 02:02 AM

I notice a difference in my 6.2 vs. my 7.4 Curados when using spinnerbaits and soft plastic paddletails.
I feel like the 6.2 really let's me slow down and feel the pulse of the bait.
I don't notice a difference in my 6.8 vs. 7.5 Lews.
Posted By: racing75

Re: Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/11/20 01:27 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/19/20 09:07 PM

You will notice the difference on taking up slack for hook sets. 3" can mean the difference between a good hookset and not a good hook set. I just got a 8:1 Revo last year and I could tell the difference between it and the 7.3 that I usually use.
Posted By: texasryan9

Re: Will I Notice A Difference.... - 05/28/20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NELA Bassguy
You will notice the difference on taking up slack for hook sets. 3" can mean the difference between a good hookset and not a good hook set. I just got a 8:1 Revo last year and I could tell the difference between it and the 7.3 that I usually use.

Agreed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum