Texas Fishing Forum

No backlash bait casters

Posted By: 603Country

No backlash bait casters - 03/13/20 07:15 PM

For many years and decades I have mostly fished with spinning reels and spin cast reels. Last year I decided to get more involved with using bait casting reels. The first reel I got 10 years ago (fairly expensive, and I forget the name) was tough to use and backlashed more than I liked. The most recent one, a Diawa Fuego CT, is a nice smooth little reel that rarely backlashes, and it wasn’t expensive. Soooo, I want one more bait caster, and wonder what’s offered from the reel makers that might even be better about not backlashing and not cost a fortune.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Bdpeelgren

Re: No backlash bait casters - 03/13/20 10:11 PM

My personal favorite is the Daiwa Tatula SV.
Some would say Shimano’s DC reels. But I think they’re overrated. They’re really good for making bomb casts but if you’re fishing targets like structure, etc. then they don’t out perform any other reel.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: No backlash bait casters - 03/13/20 11:43 PM

Ditto on the Tatula SV's.
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: No backlash bait casters - 03/14/20 11:30 PM

I have a couple of the Shimano SLX DC reels...($190) and I really like them, they do limit backlash especially when you get them set up correctly...I fish frequently at night and they make it so much easier ....I dont have any experience with the Tatula reels..but have heard good things about them as well...
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: No backlash bait casters - 03/17/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Ditto on the Tatula SV's.

x3

Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: No backlash bait casters - 03/19/20 07:08 PM

As others have said the Tatula SV is money

Re: No backlash bait casters - 03/20/20 12:47 AM

Looks lIke I need a Tatula. So that’s what I’ll buy. Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/11/20 12:47 AM

All I can say about the Tatula SV is WOW! I bought two of them used from a guy on this site. Have no real idea how old they are, but I have little to no experience throwing bait casters. I won't say that I have never gotten a backlash, but you have to screw up really bad to bird nest them. I chunked it once with the braid wrapped around the end of the rod--that'll get you a bird nest! blush

Since the Covid shutdown, I am not leaving the house because my wife is one of the highly at risk people and I can't afford to bring the virus home, I have been practice casting in my yard every day just to have something to do.

I have a bucket set about 60 feet from where I sit to throw. I don't hit the bucket a lot, but I am all around it every time I throw. I am also finding out that accuracy depends more on the rod than the reel. I am mostly using a St. Croix Avid MH Fast with braid that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is and a 3/8 oz. lead weight. With the same rod in a M Fast with mono that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is, same 3/8 oz lead weight, I am not as accurate. Both the rods were also bought used and both really feel great. I just like the MH best.

I have since bought a 2020 Tatula SV new and have ordered a Dobyns 734 H Fast during the 40% off sale. Don't have it yet so the jury is still out on that one.

These reels truly are backlash resistant. I can set the magnetic brake on 4 or 5, set the spool tension correctly based on the weight, and never touch my thumb to the spool after I cast and the reel will not over run unless I really throw it hard. With the magnetic brake on 2 or less, I can throw it a mile, but I need to feather the spool very lightly at the end of the cast.

These reels ain't cheap, but they are incredibly smooth and consistent. Now if I could just go fishing.

Wayne

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/12/20 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by lurenthewind
All I can say about the Tatula SV is WOW! I bought two of them used from a guy on this site. Have no real idea how old they are, but I have little to no experience throwing bait casters. I won't say that I have never gotten a backlash, but you have to screw up really bad to bird nest them. I chunked it once with the braid wrapped around the end of the rod--that'll get you a bird nest! blush

Since the Covid shutdown, I am not leaving the house because my wife is one of the highly at risk people and I can't afford to bring the virus home, I have been practice casting in my yard every day just to have something to do.

I have a bucket set about 60 feet from where I sit to throw. I don't hit the bucket a lot, but I am all around it every time I throw. I am also finding out that accuracy depends more on the rod than the reel. I am mostly using a St. Croix Avid MH Fast with braid that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is and a 3/8 oz. lead weight. With the same rod in a M Fast with mono that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is, same 3/8 oz lead weight, I am not as accurate. Both the rods were also bought used and both really feel great. I just like the MH best.

I have since bought a 2020 Tatula SV new and have ordered a Dobyns 734 H Fast during the 40% off sale. Don't have it yet so the jury is still out on that one.

These reels truly are backlash resistant. I can set the magnetic brake on 4 or 5, set the spool tension correctly based on the weight, and never touch my thumb to the spool after I cast and the reel will not over run unless I really throw it hard. With the magnetic brake on 2 or less, I can throw it a mile, but I need to feather the spool very lightly at the end of the cast.

These reels ain't cheap, but they are incredibly smooth and consistent. Now if I could just go fishing.

Wayne

Daiwa sets the spool tension knob from the factory on the Tatula SV’s. Any adjustments are supposed to be made with only the mag brake dial. This gives you the best performance of the reel.

Not really detrimental to the reel but it’s something you shouldn’t have to worry about.

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/13/20 01:43 AM

I didn't even know that. I bought the two I am using right now used with no box or paperwork. I adjust the spool tension out of years of habit based on the weight I am throwing. They are pretty sweet in any case.

Wayne
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/13/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bdpeelgren
Originally Posted by lurenthewind

Wayne

Daiwa sets the spool tension knob from the factory on the Tatula SV’s. Any adjustments are supposed to be made with only the mag brake dial. This gives you the best performance of the reel.

Not really detrimental to the reel but it’s something you shouldn’t have to worry about.

Well, Daiwa may set the spool tension at the factory, but I absolutely do not believe it's supposed to be left where it is. For one, why on earth would they design it with a dial for the consumer if they never intend for that user to turn it? I'm calling your bluff on this one. Show us a photo of Daiwa's instruction never to change it.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/13/20 04:59 PM

I can back lash my daiwa steez anytime, when I have the mag break very loose to cast a mile. If I get excited and try and chuck it far and hard vs a smooth cast it will jump the line off the spool and back lash.

just a fyi.

I can absolutely adj them so that never happens but casting distance really suffers as well as the cast takes a lot more effort. It works great for my wife and son etc.

I tend to tighten the mag dial a few clicks when I switch rods baits etc then back it off after each cast to re calibrate myself.

As for the spool tension it is factory set you can certainly gain more distance by loosening it from the factory setting, basically you just want a touch of free play moving the spool side to side.

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/13/20 07:28 PM

I don't doubt that at all. I have not been using baitcasters very long, so I am not trying to see how far I can throw it. I am working solely on accuracy. Throwing almost every day at a bucket in my back yard at 60' ever since this lockdown started since I am not fishing.

The Mag dial on the Tatula is incredible. I am using setting 4 or 5 most of the time never overruns. If i back it off to 0-2 it will cast a mile with just a 3/8 oz weight but I have to feather the spool to keep it from overunning. I don't invision myself ever needing to cast much over 60' anyway.

Wayne

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/13/20 08:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Here is a photo I took from the manual.
You can adjust it if you want to. But they do set it from the factory.

Someone can buy a tatula and never have to worry about the spool tension knob and only make adjustments with the brake dial. That’s why I always prefer these reels to people who are newer to baitcasters or want a reel they can take out have a good time fishing and not constantly messing with brakes and knobs.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/15/20 05:24 PM

I just purchased a Tatula SV TW 103XS and I can confirm that it no longer says "The spool position of this reel is set at the optimal position at the time of shipping." in the instructions.

There is no "To adjust "No Spool Shaking," use the "Zero Adjuster." section in the instructions. welcome
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/15/20 11:38 PM

Interesting. I bought a SV TW 103HS last week and it still has that section. The instruction have the 103XS listed as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/16/20 02:05 AM

I'm guessing you got one of the older ones. wink

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/16/20 02:10 AM

Pics?

Attached picture 15870027951082629719114731273730.jpg
Attached picture 1587002876157989280669490193309.jpg
Attached picture 15870028971103402087425645733681.jpg
Attached picture 15870029225488786680744491481358.jpg

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/16/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

You made me curious, I just went to the Diawa website and checked the model numbers. Mine is the newest model and yours is the one right before that, with a different gear ratio. Not sure why that would make a difference.
For what it’s worth, my spool tension knob was set really loose and the 1st cast at the house backlashed even with the brake turned all the way up. So much for the “optimal position at time of shipping”. You could easily move the spool a couple of mm when disengaged.

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/16/20 03:48 AM

I just loaded some 30# braid on a new Tatula SV today. Put it on a new Dobyns H Fast 734 rod. The spool tensioner was so loose that when I let the weight drop straight down, the spool wildly overran when the weight hit the ground.

Tightened it until there was no overrun, set the mag brake on 5 and it casts really well. Dropped the mag brake setting to 4, even smoother. Dropped it to 2 and had to really tend to the spool or it would birdnest pretty badly. It would, however, cast a long ways set on 2.

I have this new one and two used ones that I don't know how old they are, but I can't really tell the difference in them. Rods they are on make a huge difference in how they cast.

Wayne

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/16/20 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by SAdoc
Originally Posted by BigDozer66

You made me curious, I just went to the Diawa website and checked the model numbers. Mine is the newest model and yours is the one right before that, with a different gear ratio. Not sure why that would make a difference.
For what it’s worth, my spool tension knob was set really loose and the 1st cast at the house backlashed even with the brake turned all the way up. So much for the “optimal position at time of shipping”. You could easily move the spool a couple of mm when disengaged.

The # at the top of the paper work is different but I don't see that listed anywhere.

I only said that because my packaging said it was recycled. cheers

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/16/20 04:44 AM

I looked it up by model #. It wasn’t visible in my original pic. The new model is also a couple of ounces lighter.
[Linked Image]

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/24/20 01:02 PM

I finally got to take the Tatula fishing yesterday and was very impressed. Winds were around 15 mph in the morning and I could throw a 1/4oz underspin dead into the wind with no thumb. I used 3 other reels and the Tatula was the only one that didn’t backlash all day. Impressive. I may have to retire some of my other reels.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/24/20 02:09 PM

I finally got to take the Tatula fishing yesterday and was very impressed. Winds were around 15 mph in the morning and I could throw a 1/4oz underspin dead into the wind with no thumb. I used 3 other reels and the Tatula was the only one that didn’t backlash all day. Impressive. I may have to retire some of my other reels.

interesting

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/24/20 04:57 PM

I’ve been using my Diawa Fuego (with 12# Mono) a good bit, and am finally getting decent with accuracy. I won’t say that I get no backlashes, but I do get many fewer than any other baitcaster I have (which isn’t a lot). I’m sure that my technique is most of my problem, but happily there aren’t a lot of problems. I really like the reel and may buy another one. But...should I buy a Tatula instead? Would it be noticeably better than a Fuego as far as bird nests go?

I can not throw a real light bait into the wind without a backlash while using the Fuego. Will the Tatula allow it?
Posted By: fishforken

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/27/20 01:19 AM

I am considering getting a baitcaster and heavy rod (like Dobyns DC 806HSB) for throwing large swimbaits (2-6 Oz) but am concerned about backlashes since I have only fished spinning gear for decades. Would you guys recommend Shimano Tranx (looking at 201 or 301 size) or Diawa Tatula for someone with no experience using a baitcaster? Besides throwing large swimbaits, I plan to use the baitcaster for regular size baits for largemouth and even sandbass/hybrids on a different rod if I cannot catch at least one large bass (7+ pounds) after 2,000 or 3,000 casts with a large swimbait.
Thanks in advance for your input and advice. Ken

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/27/20 07:37 AM

Interesting. I bought a SV TW 103HS last week and it still has that section. The instruction have the 103XS listed as well.

I find it rather hilarious that the manual states the "spool position" (spool tension, possibly? LOL) is preset to the optimal position at the time of shipping, but then proceed to tell you how to set it. I've dealt with some product customization in the past (multi-language guides for different markets) and must say Diawa really needs to get some better translators! English is big enough in Japan that I'm surprised it's that bad.

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/27/20 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by fishforken
I am considering getting a baitcaster and heavy rod (like Dobyns DC 806HSB) for throwing large swimbaits (2-6 Oz) but am concerned about backlashes since I have only fished spinning gear for decades. Would you guys recommend Shimano Tranx (looking at 201 or 301 size) or Diawa Tatula for someone with no experience using a baitcaster? Besides throwing large swimbaits, I plan to use the baitcaster for regular size baits for largemouth and even sandbass/hybrids on a different rod if I cannot catch at least one large bass (7+ pounds) after 2,000 or 3,000 casts with a large swimbait.

You'll blow up a Tatula with big swimbaits. (Note I'm not slamming the Tatula. It, like many other reels typically used for bass fishing are relatively light duty and won't hold up over time.) They are NOT make for throwing big lures. They only have a clutch bearing for anti-reverse (no internal pawl) that will blow out sooner rather than later from the pressure imposed by heavy lures. Read my other post where I explained more. You are focusing on the fact that you have mostly spinning gear experience. You aren't going to make one iota difference in how any reel casts based on just the reel. Technique matters WAY more than which reel you have. What results from which reel you get is how soon you blow it up, or don't. I find it interesting you've set how many casts you're going to invest and a mandatory fish size. The real world probably isn't going to pay much attention to your plan. None of that will matter if you don't learn WHERE and WHEN to expend that effort. Bites on big baits don't happen a lot, so it's usually best to learn the technique with smaller swimbaits that get bites more frequently. While the DC 806HSB is a fantastic rod, you can learn on a Dobyn's rod for half the money. Most who try big swimbaits don't stick with it. Do you really want to tie up a lot of money in something you are already saying better produce in X time, or you're calling it quits?
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: No backlash bait casters - 04/27/20 08:37 PM

Anything you do to slow down the spool takes away from what the reel (and you) are capable of doing.

Watch Swindle's dock casting videos on the tube. The spool is loose, running wild. I've been casting bait casters since the old knuckle busters and think i'm pretty good. I have years of "excessive practice", but I have to admit I'm no where near that good.

Modern equipment is great and a tool to help us learn, but to get the most out of your tackle, you have to learn to use it. I turn everything in my reels completely loose as soon as I take them out of the box.

I do crank up a little spool help on my A-rig rod, but other than that, it's a 74 year old thumb.
Posted By: fishforken

Re: No backlash bait casters - 05/10/20 04:08 AM

Flipping Out - thanks for your input and advice. I agree that most who try throwing large swimbaits do not stick with it, so tying up a lot of $ into a swimbait specific setup could be a mistake for me. Even more so since I do not have a boat and sold my kayak years ago. So, fishing from shore and getting an expensive swimbait (you can spend over $400 if you want to for a single swimbait like Roman Made) broke off from a snag will get frustrating real quick. My chances of retrieving the lure are much lower without a boat. So I have changed plans and will start with medium size swimbaits and work my way up from there if I enjoy it enough and get some results with larger fish. I am a big Shimano fan and have been reading reviews on the Chronarch MGL and Metanium MGL and watching the Trading Post here on TFF for a good deal. Well I just pulled the trigger in a Metanium MGL on Amazon for only $299. It looks like they may be discontinued soon since I saw one on Bass Pro Shops that was reduced to only $299 from $419 but is out of stock. That is what made me pull the trigger. Now I just need to find a good Baitcasting rod - likely going with a St. Croix - then I need to get a lot of practice in the back yard and get out to the lake to try my new set up. If I really like the baitcaster over my Stradic / Thunnus spinning reels, I may decide to get a Tranx matched with heavy rod and try the large swimbaits with it. Anyway, thanks again for your recommendations. Tight Lines - Ken
Posted By: Crankin_Hank

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/02/20 03:31 AM

I got an EXCELLENT G Loomis Swimbait Rod that needs a new home. 1/2-3 ounce lures. SWBR 904C. Should be perfect with Shimano Tranx.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/02/20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by fishforken

You'll blow up a Tatula with big swimbaits. (Note I'm not slamming the Tatula. It, like many other reels typically used for bass fishing are relatively light duty and won't hold up over time.) They are NOT make for throwing big lures. They only have a clutch bearing for anti-reverse (no internal pawl) that will blow out sooner rather than later from the pressure imposed by heavy lures. Read my other post where I explained more. You are focusing on the fact that you have mostly spinning gear experience. You aren't going to make one iota difference in how any reel casts based on just the reel. Technique matters WAY more than which reel you have. What results from which reel you get is how soon you blow it up, or don't. I find it interesting you've set how many casts you're going to invest and a mandatory fish size. The real world probably isn't going to pay much attention to your plan. None of that will matter if you don't learn WHERE and WHEN to expend that effort. Bites on big baits don't happen a lot, so it's usually best to learn the technique with smaller swimbaits that get bites more frequently. While the DC 806HSB is a fantastic rod, you can learn on a Dobyn's rod for half the money. Most who try big swimbaits don't stick with it. Do you really want to tie up a lot of money in something you are already saying better produce in X time, or you're calling it quits?

i thought his plan was superb

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/02/20 07:04 PM

I think I mentioned, somewhere in this forum, that as much as I like the Diawa Fuego and the Diawa Tatula SV TW, they are not absolutely completely backlash proof. When I got the Tatula and put it on a good rod, I went over to the pond to throw some various size baits. It worked great when I got it set up, and it seemed almost backlash free. Then the wife walked over to watch. I asked her to try out this new reel, and she said there was no way she could throw using a baitcaster. I said this one was different and nearly backlash proof. She proceeded, on her first cast, to produce a backlash tangle that was amazing in size and tangle. I had to cut all that new line off the reel and put new line back on it. Soooo, she isn’t touching any baitcaster I own, ever again.
Posted By: slotlimit

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/21/20 01:13 AM

Revo Premiere.
Posted By: jublhu4

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/21/20 12:35 PM

I just picked up a SLX DC yesterday. Was it expensive? yea.. but i wanted to see what it could do. I loaded it with 20lb braid, put it on a cheap daiwa laguna MH rod, tied on a 1oz bell sinker, set spool tension, and let'r rip. for this heavy sinker, i had it on on the highest braking (4) and could sling it hard as i could and no backlash, no thumb. i had my 10 year old throwing it around, who by the way, only uses spinners, and zero issues. without readjusting anything, i could sling it and also pitch it like a jig, with ease. I am uber impressed with it, so far. Im taking it to matagorda in july to see how it holds up to reds. Most ive ever spent on a reel, and it hurt paying for it.. but, no buyers remorse.. yet.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/22/20 12:20 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the Shimano Citica 😂

[Linked Image]
[b][/b]
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/22/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay

[Linked Image]
[b][/b]

is this yours? if so what line is that? I used to buy a braid that alternated colors and loved it. I could see any little line pulling when fishing slow.

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/22/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Burbarry

[Linked Image]
[b][/b]

is this yours? if so what line is that? I used to buy a braid that alternated colors and loved it. I could see any little line pulling when fishing slow.

That's mine all right.
The line is YoZuri SuperBraid 8. The color is Camo. I got it from Bass Pro.
Not the line or the reel's fault. My leader connection knot failed mid-cast.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/22/20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Burbarry

[Linked Image]
[b][/b]

That's mine all right.
The line is YoZuri SuperBraid 8. The color is Camo. I got it from Bass Pro.
Not the line or the reel's fault. My leader connection knot failed mid-cast.

I knew whos fault it was. frkazoid

I just wanted to know about that line. Have you had good results with it once you dialed in the reel?

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/22/20 09:28 PM

Don't know yet. The line was brand new. I got that backlash the first night. Haven't been out since.
It was nice for the first 50 casts.
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: No backlash bait casters - 06/28/20 02:32 AM

The Shimano DC is also not backlash proof. Don’t ask how I know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum