Texas Fishing Forum

Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish

Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/18/20 10:38 PM

Any suggestions for a decent crappie/panfish spinning rod & reel. I mainly fish for bass from a kayak, but would like to catch some crappie & other panfish also from time to time. Thinking something like a 6' to 7' medium light to light power rod & smaller profile spinning reel would work for most areas I fish. Just not sure where to start other than random combos i've seen online. I do not buy really cheap, or really high end gear. I guess i am somewhere in the middle. Any suggestions appreciated.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/19/20 01:08 PM

Don`t overthink it.Anything in the light to med action on rods & as far as Reels go the smaller the series Number the better.You don`t need a 4500 series to catch a crappie. 2cents
Posted By: Lynn

Re: Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/20/20 02:30 AM

I agree with Fishbonz on the light to medium action. Best to go somewhere and put your hands on several different ones til you find one you like.

For the reel recommendation, you can't go wrong with a Pflueger President XT in the 20 or 25 size. In my opinion, they're the best bangs for the buck in a spinning reel.
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/20/20 04:21 PM

Thanks y'all, I know it's personal preference more than anything, just wondering what others were using, liked, etc... I will check the Pflueger Pres XT out. Cheers
Posted By: boocat

Re: Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/20/20 06:14 PM

Pflueger president are great for the price range or a stepdown to trion also very good . I have 2 prezs and 3 trions. . A little size 20 (200) pres and a light action rod are awesome.
Posted By: JohnF67

Re: Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/21/20 02:43 PM

Love Pflueger Presidents. Have two of them myself.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Spinning setup for Crappie/Panfish - 02/21/20 02:52 PM

Shimano 500/1000, B&M 7-8 foot,...$75

fish
` hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum