Texas Fishing Forum

Who makes a good spin cast reel

Posted By: SAdoc

Who makes a good spin cast reel - 05/16/19 11:16 PM

I’d like to take my wife bass fishing with me. She has no experience, and is very impatient. If she doesn’t pick up something quickly she gets frustrated and quits. I’m thinking a spin cast reel would be my best bet. Does anybody have any recommendations on one that is well built and fast enough for all around bass fishing?
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 05/17/19 03:13 AM

I think all spin cast reels are junk. Too easy to wear the drag out on them.
I would go with a spinning reel. They are pretty easy to learn and something you can use for a while.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 05/17/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by SAdoc
I’d like to take my wife bass fishing with me. She has no experience, and is very impatient. If she doesn’t pick up something quickly she gets frustrated and quits. I’m thinking a spin cast reel would be my best bet. Does anybody have any recommendations on one that is well built and fast enough for all around bass fishing?

Zebco Bullet

This is what your wife deserves if she wants to go fishing!

I got one for my wife and put it on a St. Croix Mojo Bass rod (since it is Purple - her favorite color) that I got on clearance at Academy. cheers

She loves it and it is not your normal "old" spincaster! partyon
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 05/18/19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by SAdoc

Zebco Bullet

This is what your wife deserves if she wants to go fishing!

I got one for my wife and put it on a St. Croix Mojo Bass rod (since it is Purple - her favorite color) that I got on clearance at Academy. cheers

She loves it and it is not your normal "old" spincaster! partyon

Thanks. The Zebco Bullet looked like the best bet from what I could tell online , but I’ve never actually seen one.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 05/18/19 02:20 PM

Shimano
Posted By: Shakey-Head

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 05/24/19 03:38 PM

Piscifun
Posted By: adchunts

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 06/12/19 02:37 PM

Another vote for Zebco Bullet. It is what my wife uses. Seems to be pretty well built, and casts a mile. She has caught a number of bass on it so far. Tried her on spinning gear first, she hated it.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 06/15/19 04:09 AM

Daiwa gold cast 80 ,100,120 it’s probably the best spincast made .
Got them at amazon the 120 is heavy duty .
Posted By: dan805

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 06/16/19 03:37 PM

Went with a Shimano syncopate spin reel, with the trigger. Wife loves it more than the spin cast. The trigger makes it easier.
Posted By: texdanm

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 06/17/19 12:28 AM

I like the Zebco 33 platinum or gold series. I have caught bass to 8lbs, catfish to 12 lbs and several thousand crappies, perch and small bass on them with no problems. Most people that have problems with them don't use them right and this causes line twist. If you set the drag right and don't just keep twisting on the handle when the drag is slipping they work really well. I also tend to put a finger on the line when reeling in a slack line. The regular reel works well but without the bearing that you get in the slightly more expensive versions they wear out after a couple of years. I actually prefer the 33 platinum over the Omega.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 06/17/19 03:45 PM

Mitchell................
Posted By: RonL

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 06/17/19 04:15 PM

If she’s having a hard time learning to cast i would go with a simple but good 6-6/1-2” rod and an old fashion Zebco 33 reel . Best beginner reel I’ve ever used and easy to fix if it gets messed up .
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 07/06/19 04:30 PM

I personally do not use spin cast but I fish with a couple of anglers who love the Zebco! thumb
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 07/11/19 07:42 PM

What the hell kind of question is this.......

Who makes a spincast besides Zebco..? Geez.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 07/20/19 12:08 PM

If she has no patience, maybe fishing is not for her.
Posted By: jvc58dke

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 07/30/19 04:10 AM

+1 for the Zebco 33
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 07/30/19 11:13 PM

I have 4 or 5 AbuMatic 170’s of various ages, a Zebco Bullet, and a closed face by Bass Pro. I’ve always been an AbuMatic fan and have one or two that are very old. I rebuilt one today using parts from another one. I spent all day today putting new line in all the reels (spinning, baitcasting, and closed face) and then fishing in my pond to make sure they were ready for use. That Zebco bullet is the smoothest closed face I‘ve used, and the wife has claimed it. Still, nothing I have is as smooth as my baitcasting reels, and I’m not as smooth with the baitcasters as I would like to be.

Those old Zebco 33’s are sure easy to get parts for and rebuild. I have a few of those that the wife’s parents left her, and I rebuilt them so she could use them, but she parked them and went to the Bullet.

I caught 7 bass, by the way. We are catch and release except for catfish.
Posted By: Always Fishin'

Re: Who makes a good spin cast reel - 09/05/19 02:27 PM

I did a lot of research on this subject bringing up my kids fishing. So many of the spincast reels have a low rate of retrieval. You have to reel uncomfortably fast to keep your rooster tail spinning or to keep your squarebill bumping into the cover.

We ended up using BPS Extreme Lightweight reels. 27" per turn, similar to regular spinning reel (zebco 33 is only 19").

They have held up well, and at $30 it's an okay price point. Sometimes they go on sale and you can get them cheaper.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-extreme-lightweight-spincast-reel
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum