Texas Fishing Forum

Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet

Posted By: Wirebender

Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/13/19 11:46 PM

If I use mono backing first, can I put braid on a spincast (closed faced push button) reel like the new Zebco bullet? If so, what would be the maximum pound test line could I get away with? I am putting together a combo for my daughter who has not mastered a baitcaster yet. She can use a spinning reel, but I want to try her with a Zebco Bullet for Carolina rigging this summer. Thanks.
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/14/19 12:48 AM

I have a Zebco bullet but I use Gliss line on the spool...40 pound test...the line is extremely thin and you can put a lot on the spool...I am sure you can use braid but I think anything over 15 pounds for the braid would sure limit the amount of line you can get on the spool...which will limit your casting distance...the reel is also pretty heavy...not sure how old your daughter is..but the reel is pushing 14 oz...very solidly built...
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/14/19 12:53 AM

you can Carolina Rig with a spinning reel,... thumb

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/14/19 01:37 AM

I know, and that will be in the boat for her.....just looking at other options that she might like to try. Thanks.

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/14/19 01:38 AM

I am not familiar with Gliss......what type of line is it?
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/14/19 03:20 PM

They call it a monotex Gliss Line

It is a thin single strand line...but is extremely strong with no stretch...it does fray a bit after dragging it over rocks/limbs...but I have never had it break on me. when I see the fraying I cut it off and retie....it is very stout line...I usually tie a leader with flouro on the end for use with drop shot with a swivel to connect them. The best knot to tie is a palomar knot...it is very slick line and very small,,,even with 40 pound test... and not very stiff....so if you are like me and have "old eyes", can be a challenge to tie in the boat. But works great on my bullet. I think Berkley makes a similar line called Fire Line...I have never used that..so I dont know anything about it.

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/14/19 09:01 PM

FYI....I was able to talk with Zebco customer service today. Braid can be used on the Zebco Bullet spincast provided a few wraps of mono backing are used first to prevent slippage. She recommended that the braid pound test be the same size diameter as the preloaded 10 pound mono.... so around 20-30 # braid. She did say that casting distance may be shortened with the braid however. Thanks everyone for your responses.
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/16/19 01:48 AM

How do you like the Zebco bullet? I’ve been thinking about buying one for my non fishing wife to try to learn to bass fish with me. She has little patience and I’m afraid she would get frustrated with a baitcaster or spinning reel if she didn’t catch on right away.
Posted By: Moose364

Re: Braid on a Spincast reel like Zebco Bullet - 05/23/19 03:56 AM

Per Zebco website it say's used a #30 braid if your going to run Braid, anything smaller and the reel will have problems picking up the line.

SAdoc they are some of the best reel's I have used in a spincast, mine still have the cajun red that they came with and after a day of fishing with my son which only used a Baitcaster all day. I was very happy with them, plus being able to cast just as far as his Baitcaster, and the added benefit of being able to shoot a spinner bait under a Dock. just added to my happiness My Wife Loves her's
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum