Texas Fishing Forum

Setting the drag (am I doing it right)?

Posted By: lowew79

Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/05/19 11:21 PM

I think I might be doing something wrong when setting my drag. I'll list my reels, their specs, the rods I use, and the technique I'm using.

Abu Garcia Ambassaduer C3 listed max drag is 14 pounds, on a ugly stik catfish rod with 20 lb test mono.

Daiwa 300 millionaire classic listed max drag is 11 pounds, also on a ugly stik, also with 20 lb test mono.

The technique I used is one I found on google. I put a rod holder in my yard at a 45 degree angle and put the rod in it. I took all the tackle off the line and tied the bare line to a digital fish scale. I loosened the drag all the way and pulled on the line. According to my website the drag should be set to 25-35% of the test of your line. So for my 20 lb test that is between 5 to 7 pounds.

So I pull, adjust, pull adjust so on so forth.

Here is the thing though. Even though my reels are rated at 11 and 14 pounds I have to really, REALLY, REALLY tighten the star drags (to the point I am hurting my finger pushing on the star and I am afraid I'm going to break my reels) to get to even 5 pounds on the scale. The Daiwa especially I cant get past 6, and that's with the star gear set TIGHT!

It seems like if the rated max drags are 14 and 11, I shouldn't have to set the drag so very tight just to get 5-7 pounds on my scale. Is there something I'm missing? That I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/06/19 12:48 AM

Old reels that have had the drag cranked down forever or way too much lube on the drag washers.

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/06/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Old reels that have had the drag cranked down forever or way too much lube on the drag washers.

Am i supposed to unset the drag back to zero or near zero after every fishing trip?

They are older rods, is the drag system something that just normally wears out over time? Can it be prevented?

I assume this can be repaired, any idea of a ballpark amount to get fixed?

Any recommendations on whom to get to do this?

Thanks

Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/06/19 02:50 AM

All my reels have the drag cranked down and never loosened unless the repair man does it. My newest Abu is at least 15 years old and probably older. In drag setting you can always tighten it up but never loosing it after the line breaks, err on the side of to loose.

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/06/19 03:19 AM

Well my Abu is no where near that old (maybe 8 to 10 years), but I do leave the drag on. I just found is so strange today when I was resetting it that I had to crank it so hard for just 5 to 6 pounds. Does the rod have something to do with it? It seems like the rod would make the drag stronger (the reel could take MORE before slipping) not less.

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/06/19 03:21 AM

Well my Abu is no where near that old (maybe 8 to 10 years), but I do leave the drag on. I just found is so strange today when I was resetting it that I had to crank it so hard for just 5 to 6 pounds. Does the rod have something to do with it? It seems like the rod would make the drag stronger (the reel could take MORE before slipping) not less.

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 05/06/19 07:11 PM

It SUPPOSED to be the carbon matrix drag system that will not deform? Not trying to argue with you guys just trying to be thorough. Also anyone in Johnson county who can work on this reel for me?
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 06/09/19 07:37 PM

I back all of my drags off while being stored. Not saying it makes a difference, just a habit I've had for years. I know one thing for certain, it can't hurt anything.
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 06/09/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by psycho0819
I back all of my drags off while being stored. Not saying it makes a difference, just a habit I've had for years. I know one thing for certain, it can't hurt anything.

Reel repairman told me to loosen when stored or not using keep from cutting into
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Setting the drag (am I doing it right)? - 06/10/19 01:40 AM

Rod at a 45 degree angle. I attach a certain amount of weight (which sits on the floor) on the mainline and tighten the drag enough to where I can pick the weigh off the floor. OR, if your throwing jigs etc., rod at a 45 with attached "jig" hanging from the rod, then back off on the tightened drag until the jig starts to fall.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum