Texas Fishing Forum

Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel?

Posted By: ChristopherWayne

Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/13/18 12:14 AM

Curious if you guys used this reel model in the past and what you thought of it.

Good reel?

Its the only Shimano baitcaster that I have used.
Posted By: turtdogg

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/13/18 10:13 AM

This reel is a tank, bulletproof lol. Hard to find parts for, especially the spools but I have the same reel in a 6.2 year ratio and have had it since mid 90’s, never had an issue with it other than cleaning and flushing the bearings.
Posted By: metanium

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/13/18 03:27 PM

What ^he said. That's one of the "old greenies" that people still swear by. In the 5:1 ratio that the one picture has, it will make an excellent cranking reel.

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/13/18 11:51 PM

Turtdogg/Metanium,

Thanks for the info.
I do some worm and fluke fishing and I am about to dive into the "soft swim-bait" game.
I am a slow fisher.

The one in the photo has been just been re-furbished with new bearings and a new drag.

I have two more of the same B5:1 model that I bought from a guy who had them in long term storage.
He had no time for fishing!

I imagine the internals are very dry as was mine.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/14/18 08:51 PM

THOSE are the best reels made. As stated above, it is a WORK HORSE of a reel and I still have 14 of them, all on CB and SB rods. Little maintenance given to it and it reels and casts all day. My BEST rod I have owned, but I have tried the newer ones, but still go back to my old tried and true reels. Handles all kinds of CBs you throw at it, even the Strike King 25. Keep it clean and it should last a long time. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/14/18 09:41 PM

Thad,

What is the heaviest swimbait you would use with those reels?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/15/18 02:24 AM

I wouldn't go over 2 oz. That would stretch them pretty good and shorten the life of them, but it would work. Lighter would be much better, but that is on ANY reel. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

What type of line are you going to put on it? Braid? Copoly? Mono? or FLuoro? All mine are fixed with McCoyas Mean Green, a copoy and work VERY well with it. Hope this helps.

tr
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/15/18 03:00 AM

I had two and sold them.

Don't get me wrong.. That's the most bombproof reel ever built. They are complete tanks! But I personally couldn't get the feel for them. They cast great and work well! Just me personally, I like small low profile baitcasters

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/15/18 11:07 PM

I would prefer to go with braid.

Lot of trees and stumps where I fish.

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 06/15/18 11:18 PM

This would be my other reel for heavier baits.
It needs a level wind upgrade and new bearings.

Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 07/09/18 04:12 PM

All of the Curado 200B reels are super durable. I have 4 of these reels that I bought back in the mid 90’s, that I am still using. Matter of fact, I caught fish using one of them yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: GILLZ

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 07/10/18 12:46 AM

Those are great reels. Probably the best all around model Shimano has made along with the "E" series Curado/Chronarchs. They fish great and are super easy to clean. There's a reason why they still bring good money for their age.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 07/10/18 02:54 AM

I have several of the B series. The 200s have brass gears. I believe the 100s have a plastic main gear (that could be the D series) but as long as you don't soup up the drag too much they work fine.
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Bantam Curado B5:1 - Good reel? - 07/21/18 05:43 PM

I call them the Sherman Tank of reels.
Still to this day one of the best out there.
I have tons of customers still using them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum