Texas Fishing Forum

good finesse rod?

Posted By: basshunter2000

good finesse rod? - 05/15/18 11:52 PM

I'm trying to find one finesse rod to cover all my techniques, looking for a 7' or longer med light spinning rod. Any one have any suggestions?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/16/18 01:19 AM

I would go with the Dobyns 703 SF or the Dobyns 702 SF. Since Dobyns rods go about a 1/2 rate higher than most rods go, the 703 would be more like a 702.5 SF.

Here is a link to it:

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/703sf/

and the 702

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/702sf/

Both would be along the lines of what you may be looking for. The 703 is rated at Medium, the 702 is rated a ML.

Hope this helps.

Thad Rains
Posted By: basshunter2000

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/16/18 02:28 AM

dobyns any good when it comes to sensitivity?
Posted By: fuzzion

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/16/18 06:22 AM

I have good luck with my Fenwick HMX. They do have a 7' ML for about $80.00.

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/16/18 06:53 PM

YES, the sensitivity is VERY good on their rods. Amazing how light and sensitive they are. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/23/18 01:15 AM

The DX 702 is my preference.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/30/18 03:45 AM

I've never had a Dobyns on the water, but I felt one at Cabelas the other day after reading on here how Dobyns is THE ONLY rod. Wasn't very impressed to say the least... Felt like any other rod really.

Falcon makes great rods! I know most guys don't consider them, but check at Waterloo Rods. They are more saltwater but have a whole arsenal of freshwater stuff.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/30/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
I've never had a Dobyns on the water, but I felt one at Cabelas the other day after reading on here how Dobyns is THE ONLY rod. Wasn't very impressed to say the least... Felt like any other rod really.

Falcon makes great rods! I know most guys don't consider them, but check at Waterloo Rods. They are more saltwater but have a whole arsenal of freshwater stuff.

I don't see any suggestion by Thad or anyone else that Dobyns is "THE ONLY ROD." It was just the only make he recommended. And, to suggest you can wiggle a rod on a rack at Cabelas and make out how it performs? They all feel stiff to me.

Better to take in recommendations, maybe some demos, ask to try someone else's you fish with, etc., then see what feels good . . . but it'll be better if there is a reel mounted, line and a lure casting and trying it on the water.

Falcon is another really good brand, by the way, and I agree that it isn't mentioned as much as some others. I have several friends who use them.

I'll add St. Croix rods, use quite a lot of them and keep going back. I have a G-Rods Intl. rod that feels better than any other rod I have, just different.

Brad

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/31/18 01:25 AM

dk2429

Sorry you didn't like the rod I suggested. BUT, when I look at Dobyns rods at Cabelas, I do not see the Champion lineup. The Champion is the one I suggested and it is the next step up and another $100 up to get to the rods I suggested. Sorry you didn't like it, this is the brand I use after 54 years of fishing. They work for me and quite a few others that recommend them. Sorry you were disappointed. I won't hold it against you if you buy another rod. To each his own, and if you like the Falcon lineup better, the buy it. Plain an simple. Sorry I didn't steer you correctly. But as Brad R says, picking a rod up in the store is a far distant cry from fishing with it. Good luck and I hope you find the right rod for YOU!!!!

Respectfully,

Thad Rains

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/31/18 03:00 AM

No need to get y'all's panties in a wad.. As I said, I've never used one on the water.... I'd say about 99% of the replies on these rod threads are Dobyns. Who knows, I may be missing out on them. But just picking it up in Cabelas I understand doesn't judge how well the rod preforms. But at the same time, I can pick up like a Falcon or G Loomis at the same store and really have the feel for them even when I never used them on the water. The Dobyns at Cabelas is the Sierra series. Even when I asked the Cabelas guy where the Dobyns were he was telling me all these stories on how they are the best rod they carry. Who knows, he may be right!

I guess I need to just get one and take it out on the water so y'all can be happy to hear me say that the Dobyns is the best rod I've ever used...... Because God help me if I say I don't like it! woot
Posted By: Samarai

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/31/18 03:21 PM

i had both dobyns 702 and 703, and honestly for almost half the price i prefer the shimano crucial rods.

Re: good finesse rod? - 05/31/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Samarai
i had both dobyns 702 and 703, and honestly for almost half the price i prefer the shimano crucial rods.

Whahhhaattt????? You don't prefer Dobyns? What the hell kind of fisherman do you think you are? eeks
Posted By: Mofishin1990

Re: good finesse rod? - 06/03/18 04:40 AM

I got the Evergreen 7'4" . It's a medium power, not med lt., but it has handled every finesse teqnuique I've thrown at it. For $200 it's a great rod IMO.
Posted By: BASS GURU

Re: good finesse rod? - 06/07/18 07:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Samarai

I agree with this^^^^^^ Love my Shimano Crucial medium spinning rods! Super light and sensitive and don't cost a fortune.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: good finesse rod? - 06/07/18 01:03 PM

Look at Alpha Angler rods, the "Wrench" is perfect for what you are looking for. the "DSR" is slightly shroter and lighter and great for drop shots and neko's.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum