Texas Fishing Forum

Braid on a spincast???

Posted By: grout-scout

Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 02:58 AM

Will it work? Trying to rig up a rod for my daughter and mono gets too coiled up by the time we use the rod.
Posted By: jrod88

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 03:18 AM

I haven’t, but I’d imagine you’d need backing or tape as the braid might slip.

As a kid I remember having issues if we used too heavy of poundage or tried to spool too much line. My experience is limited to Zebco 202,404, and 33.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Will it work? Trying to rig up a rod for my daughter and mono gets too coiled up by the time we use the rod.
been there tried that with my kids and wife ..."didnt work"...go with a good monofilament and use reel magic line conditioner, i promise it works.

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 12:58 PM

thumb I figured it wouldn’t work, thanks.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 01:38 PM

Works great
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 07:13 PM

I've read where people use 10lb braid on a spincast with good results.

Haven't tried it myself.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 07:34 PM

I back spool mono, just enough to cover the spool and then tie that to the braid and continue spooling till it is full. Stops the sliding and have not had any issues. Trilene Big Game is a good line... it is low memory. If you are using a higher pound test, it tends to have more memory, but 20 or under you should be ok.

Also, if you store your rods in the rod locker and it gets real hot, that will add memory to your line. Reel Magic as someone mentioned can help some, but best to store indoors or in shade.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/07/18 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
been there tried that with my kids and wife ..."didnt work"...go with a good monofilament and use reel magic line conditioner, i promise it works.

This^

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/08/18 02:51 AM

I had a small left over spool of 20lb spiderwire so I tried it, it’s too thick. I think I might try some smaller/thinner braid, it’s only gonna cost me $15 or so to try it. If it won’t work, I’ll try some big game. Never had any issues with it, not sure why I ever quit using it.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/08/18 01:42 PM

so my findings with decent spin cast - zebco omega pros

1) mono does work better - but it can't be to heavy (line weight/size is dependent on the reel size).
2) Braid does work - but you can't go to heavy - the biggest issue with braid is that it doesn't have the "spring" of mono/flouro. The issue braid has is how it comes off the spool - it just doesn't come off the same way as mono/flouro and has a direct and demonstrable impact on casting distance.

My current favorite line for my kids zebco's is KastKing FlouroKote - 4-15lb - my son has been using 4lb on his rod (from the trout stockings) and can cast just as far as most of my "medium" quality rod/reel pairs (spinning) for the same lure/weight.

That said - i still start my kids on on braid for the first year or so on their spincasters - despite not casting as far it holds up a lot better to abrasion/abuse that they give it - which means less lost fish.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/09/18 11:41 PM

Works very well. Back it with a foot on mono tied on Uni-knot to Uni-knot. Nice thing is the braid is more resilient to breaking and because there is no stretch, you really don't need a big hook set to set the hook. I have used it for years on the Barbie rods with younger clients.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/10/18 01:25 AM

Modern Day Braid was meant to be put on a Spin Cast when it first came out.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/10/18 02:39 AM

I fish fresh and salt water. Have a 6 year old, 13 year old. Both use spinning rods. Every reel I own has braid both bait caster and spinning rods. You have to back spinning reels with mono plain and simple. I use power pro braid. Tried them all, for the price and performance, power pro is outstanding.
Posted By: txhuntingguide

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/15/18 12:40 AM

We have 30 bait casters of varying types. I was very skeptical and I myself do not use a spinning reel much. But my kids do. We have 30 lb braid on all of them. no issues. To me this is the only way to go. I bought myself my first spinning reel this past week. Spooled it with braid and had no issues. Also, I only use power pro

Re: Braid on a spincast??? - 05/15/18 12:57 AM

^^^ Spinning reel is different, I’m referring to the little kid style like zebco 202’s & such.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum