Texas Fishing Forum

shimano 2500 fd

Posted By: jazz

shimano 2500 fd - 03/27/18 03:05 PM

Having trouble with closing the bale using the handle and also when you first start reeling it tends to bind up but once moving its reels ok. I usually close the bale by hand . When you hold the rod upright and put the handle at the 11 o'clock position the handle will fall on its own and will reel smoothly. What is the most common cause for this and what do I need to look for when i open it up? Where is the best place to purchase shimano parts? Thanks in advance
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: shimano 2500 fd - 03/28/18 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jazz
Having trouble with closing the bale using the handle and also when you first start reeling it tends to bind up but once moving its reels ok. I usually close the bale by hand . When you hold the rod upright and put the handle at the 11 o'clock position the handle will fall on its own and will reel smoothly. What is the most common cause for this and what do I need to look for when i open it up? Where is the best place to purchase shimano parts? Thanks in advance

Could be something as simple as being dirty. Ereplacementparts.com is a good place for parts
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: shimano 2500 fd - 03/28/18 06:23 PM

I don't know this reel, but I had the problem like this with old graphite Penn 4500, and the part to blame was the dog. Part price was $0.79 + $5.99 S/H smile
Posted By: HillCountryReelRepair

Re: shimano 2500 fd - 03/29/18 02:31 AM

Could be a bent bail wire. If the wire is bent it puts to much pressure on the arms and will bind them up. Try Unscrewing the bail on the side opposite of the line roller and pull the arm off the post on the rotor. If it springs out then bend the wire so the bail arm naturally wants to line up with the post on the rotor. What happens is when you set the reel down on the deck of the boat, it pushes on the bail wire and the wire wants to spread open. Sometimes you don’t even have to take the bail apart, you can just squeeze the bail wire on the sides and it usually helps.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum