Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for new Rod & reel set ups

Posted By: Mifisher

Looking for new Rod & reel set ups - 03/25/18 07:18 PM

I am looking to update my rod and reels. I think the last time I purchased a new one was over 20 years ago, so I'm thinning out my collection and just trying to have 5-6 great quality rods and reels.

I mainly fish inland lakes for Bass and panfish (or whatever bites). I HATE open face reels, cause I never could master it. I am a spinning reel man.

Whats your recommendations .....?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Looking for new Rod & reel set ups - 03/26/18 02:12 AM

Pfleuger President spinning reels are the best value. Usually around $65; but can be found as low as $30 at times

The Daiwa Fuego is a great spinning reel on clearance at many places—usually around $85

Rods—the allstrar spinning rods at academy sports are a good value

Academy sports and outdoors online has their end of season fishing clearance
13 fishing fate ML spinning rods are half off—don’t have one, but recommended by many
Shimano Sahara spinning reels are at a good price. I’d buy two in the 5:1 ratio 25 size and two in the 6:1 ratio 30 size
I’d get one of the all star light spinning rods in medium and one in medium heavy. (Both on clearance)

Posted By: Mifisher

Re: Looking for new Rod & reel set ups - 03/26/18 12:47 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Looking for new Rod & reel set ups - 03/27/18 12:00 AM

I have been happiest with my Okuna Stratus V spinning reel and Field and Stream Tec-Spec rod from Dick's.

The pair cost under $100 and feel better than my Shimano stuff.
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Looking for new Rod & reel set ups - 03/27/18 02:46 AM

I agree with everything what was said above, just want to add one more point.
If price is a serious issue, it is sometimes easier to buy combo, and there are two I'd like to tell:
- for bait fishing (catfish?) it is Ugly Stick combo.
- for artificials - Pflueger President combo.
Both might be found in local stores (Diks, Academy, BPS or Cabelas)
My personal choice is President: i'll join collincountytx on evaluation of President reel - it really is great for the price; and rod(blank) is well made (to my surprise).
You may want to have a look @other combos - it simply (sometimes) makes sense smile
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Looking for new Rod & reel set ups - 03/30/18 01:59 AM

In my opinion, Shimano owns the spinning reel market.. At least down here in the saltwater... All the guys down here that use spinning reels are all Shimano
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum