Texas Fishing Forum

Need hook retainers added to rods

Posted By: Patta-whack

Need hook retainers added to rods - 01/11/18 09:57 PM

I have about 14 rods, mostly Dobyns but there is one G Loomis and one St. Croix that all have the closed hook retainer and I am wanting to add the open style retainer to each rod. I thought about trying it myself but since these are nice rods I want them to look professional and I am pretty sure doing it for the first time would not look great. Is there anyone close to the South Dallas area that could do this and is reputable?
Posted By: Rod Fixer

Re: Need hook retainers added to rods - 01/18/18 02:08 PM

I would like to help you out, but since I am in Weatherford it's probably a bit too far. So with that said, I'll recommend you get in touch with Kevin Smith in Burleson, Shamrock Rod and Reel repair. 817-219-3049
Kevin does some pretty awesome work.
Posted By: Patta-whack

Re: Need hook retainers added to rods - 01/21/18 05:49 AM

Thanks! I am actually in Weatherford occasionally so might take you up on it if my job doesn't get it done. I watched several videos and ordered the stuff from mud hole a few days ago to give it a try. Also ordered a kit to build my own rod. This might get interesting!
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Need hook retainers added to rods - 01/28/18 11:51 AM

If you got a mudhole threading and dryer motor kit, you'll do just fine. In in olden days, they did it by hand. You can keep practicing until it looks the way you want it, and then apply epoxy. Until then, it's non destructive and only costs you some thread and time. Mudhole has really good videos on wrapping guides. good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum