Texas Fishing Forum

Motorguide/Tracker 40lb trolling motor

Posted By: Resh

Motorguide/Tracker 40lb trolling motor - 10/26/17 03:15 PM

So I get to the water yesterday, drop the trolling motor and nothing happens, just dead. checked connections, unplugged-replugged, everything seems fine. Got back on shore and did the following. FYI 2000 Bass Tracker Pro Crappie 175, original trolling motor that came on the boat.

- Checked battery connection (but everything else in the boat works fine electrically)
- Using digital multimeter checked the battery posts, good to go.
- Pulled each fuse and checked continuity, good to go.
- Turned on my lights and checked amps at the fuse, good to go.
- Turned trolling motor on continuous and checked all fuses (don't know which fuse is TM), no power.
- Checked for power at the plug of the TM, no power.

I am thinking the problem is the switch on the foot pedal where your foot presses to engage power. I am thinking

a.) remove the red and black going into that switch and check continuity of just the switch when it's engaged (that would tell me if the switch is busted right?)
b.) hard wire something to the TM plug on the bow, and see if power gets to it, confirming the problem to be in the actual unit.

Any other thoughts? Or experience with the same issue?
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Motorguide/Tracker 40lb trolling motor - 10/26/17 06:35 PM

Check for a tripped circuit breaker. Should be near your trolling motor battery
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Motorguide/Tracker 40lb trolling motor - 10/26/17 09:01 PM

+1 on the circuit breaker. Check the TM outlet for power then go forward or backwards as indicated. It's unlikely the TM would go through a switch as they usually won't handle the current a TM draws.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Motorguide/Tracker 40lb trolling motor - 10/27/17 03:42 AM

Thank you, definitely wasn't the switch. I hard wired it to a battery and it worked fine. I think I figured out which of the 3000 wires under the console are the TM ones, but they don't seem to connect to a breaker. Just wired into the fuse block. I'm no electrician, pretty sure it's going to stay hard wired until I upgrade units entirely. Thanks again
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum